"Snapshot" <vs> "photograph"

< Previous | Next >

panzerfaust0

mandarin
Hello. I wonder what difference/s there are between these two words, "snapshot" and "photograph". I think that a "snapshot" is like the image that a non-professional takes using a small, hand-held camera. Maybe even a polaroid camera. Whereas a "photograph" is the image that a professional photographer takes using sophisticated, professional equipment.

Context: This is a beautiful photograph that you have just taken. You should consider pursuing professional photography as a career.

Context 2: These films are like snapshots of the different eras of the library and they each tell a different story.

Can someone tell me whether I am correct or not? Thanks.

• Truffula

English - USA
    You are partially correct. A snapshot is as you say, a candid picture usually taken, not in a professional photographic setting, but as a casual record of an event or person or place, could be with a cheap or disposable camera (or could be with an expensive camera that is just being used in a casual way at the time).

A photograph is more generally any (still) picture taken with any camera. It does not imply professionalism or lack thereof.

waltern

English - USA
    "Snapshot" implies a shot that was taken quickly and casually.

"Photograph" is a broad, inclusive term, it does not only refer to images taken by professionals with expensive equipment - snapshots are photographs, too.

< Previous | Next >