1. Seikun

Seikun Senior Member

Chile
    Chile - Castellano
    Hi.
    I was reading an article on heterophobia and this concept showed up. According to a definition I read it means a word used to induce a negative response or association in the person who hears it.

What does it mean in Spanish?

Thanks in advance!

2. Cal inhibes Senior Member

Colombia
    Spanish
    Provocación. Acción o frase destinada a inducir reacciones extremas en quien la recibe.
    Salud.

3. Seikun

Seikun Senior Member

Chile
    Chile - Castellano
    El artículo dice así:

Heterophobia is a neologism used as a snarl word to delegitimize the gay rights movement's campaign for equal treatment and an end to anti-gay bigotry. In practice and every-day life, it's quite obvious that it does not exist.

Tal vez podríamos traducirla como "palabra inductora" o "palabra condicionante". La verdad es que no sé si en español tenemos un concepto como snarl word. Tal vez lo tenemos, peor yo no se me viene a la mente en este momento.

4. pachanga7 Senior Member

Southeastern U.S.
    U.S. English
    A related phrase is "dog whistle." It refers to certain phrases or words that when a politician uses them, mean something special to a particular subset of the population, but regarding everyone else they will miss the reference. Dog whistles are pitched high so only dogs can hear them.

So for example a conservative Republican giving a speech might allude to the Apocalypse in a way that only the religious faithful will get.

5. Seikun

Seikun Senior Member

Chile
    Chile - Castellano
    Now the definition of this concept is clear, but I fail to find an equivalent in Spanish, that's why I came up with those two I wrote in my previous post.

I will leave this thread open for anyone who knows how this could be translated into Spanish.

Thanks everyone for your help^^