snatched away

AJ2018

English - United Kingdom
how would you render into French the very passionate idea of having something "snatched away from you."

Here's the context: I have worked all my life to become a great athlete, but all my success was "snatched away" when I was caught doing drugs.

This is a very literary sense of the word so it may required some creativity to render into French and capture that same force and energy.

• misterk

English-American
    Ni l'un ni l'autre. The focus is on the fact that everything he worked for disappeared/was lost in an instant.

"...a disparu en l'espace d'un instant..." ?

le chat noir

French
    [....merci!]

I have a hard time translating the last bit (I was caught doing drugs). I'd rather use something more specific like "smoking pot" or "sniffing coke", a generic expression would sound ponderous ("on a découvert que je me droguais" or something?).
    Or perhaps a small rewording would allow to sound more punchy:

"la drogue m'a dépouillé de mon succès du jour où je me suis fait pincer" (drugs robbed me of my success the very day I got caught) ou qq ch comme ça?

AJ2018

English - United Kingdom
    Bonjour,

Le sens en anglais implique-t-il que l’athlète est d'accord avec ça, comme un juste châtiment, ou alors qu'il a l'impression que c'est injuste?

Pour répondre à votre question, ça c'est quelque chose tout à fait injuste.

I'm trying to find something that captures the essence of something that is TAKEN AWAY from you.

I guess the best way to think of this is to think of how a gunman kills someone. He literally snatches away their life, like a robber snatches away someone's purse. It's usually done with total disregard for the victim's wellbeing.

I know, in French, we don't want to use the word "voler," but at least you have the complete idea in English. To use "snatch away" in this context is very visceral.

le chat noir

French
    Would "dépouiller" be strong enough for you? The original meaning is "being skinned", it's stronger than "se faire voler".
    What do you think of the rewording I suggested (drugs robbed me of my success...)?
    That shifts the meaning a bit, but "on m'a volé..." would sound a bit paranoid ("they robbed me...") and "le succès m'a été arraché" a bit cumbersome, in my opinion.

joelooc

French (Provence)
    ma réussite a été réduite à néant lorsqu'on m'a pris à me doper.
    If you want to go along with a feeling of injustice : on a brisé ma carrière / on a coupé mon essor.
    Though it feels a bit strange that someone who cheats can't accept that he's the one who did wrong.

Last edited:

rrose17

Canada, English
    Caught doing drugs doesn't necessarily mean doping/cheating here. Some Olympic athletes have been banned for smoking marijuana, for example.

joelooc

French (Provence)
    That's right. Although I think cheating means not abiding by the rules of the game/the Games. Tonya Harding wasn't banned for doing drugs.

rrose17

Canada, English
    Although I think cheating means not abiding by the rules of the game/the Games. .
    I would have to disagree. Marijuana is a banned substance for Olympic athletes even though it has nothing to do with cheating, which means trying to gain an unfair advantage of other athletes with performance enhancing drugs. It's simply a vestige of misguided rules that are basically meaningless. IMHO :rolleyes:

joelooc

French (Provence)
    The debate about doing drugs, whether it is marijuana, crack, cocaine or steroids would take us too far away from "snatch" and would be deleted anyway; It's up to AJ2018 to decide what doing drugs means in this context. The problem is to render a paradox most of us seem unable to grasp or cope with: the athlete feels he's been deprived of something that common sense denies him the right to be entitled to.