snatched each thrust

NewAmerica

Mandarin
The expression "snatched each thrust" is confusing since if you snatched each thrust of your enemy then you would grapple with your enemy without further exchange of blows (that is, there would never be another exchanging fifty blows). The fact is that Sun Ce also dodged each thrust of Taishi Ci and finally snatched his spear when Ci caught his shaft.

But the catch is that if you translated it into "Sun Ce likewise dodged each thrust of Taishi Ci's spear (and finally snatched the shaft)", the expression would sound a bit boring.

So my advice is: Simply translate it into "Sun Ce likewise snatched Taishi Ci's spear." The reader already knows they exchanged another fifty blows. So the re-translation would be very clear.

What do you think?

Since Sun Ce was hardly the sort to abandon a chase, he pursued Taishi Ci to level ground. There Taishi Ci swung his horse around and the two champions exchanged another fifty blows. Taishi Ci dodged each thrust of Sun Ce's spear and caught the shaft under his arm; Sun Ce likewise snatched each thrust of Taishi Ci's spear. The two men closed and grappled, pulling each other down from their saddles.

Source: Three Kingdoms translated by Moss Roberts Chapter 15

• NewAmerica

Mandarin
    What is your translation? The original translation is:

Sun Ce likewise snatched each thrust of Taishi Ci's spear.

With your idea, your translaton would be:

Sun Ce likewise snatched, grabbed each thrust of Taishi Ci's spear under the arm?

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    Well, if he grabbed each thrust of Taishi Ci's spear, how could there be "another fifty blows" (here one blow means Ce thrusts with spear Ci once and Ci does likewise) since Ce has grabbed/seized Ci's shaft of spear at the very beginning of the exchange of blows?

bennymix

Well, if he grabbed each thrust of Taishi Ci's spear, how could there be "another fifty blows" (here one blow means Ce thrusts with spear Ci once and Ci does likewise) since Ce has grabbed/seized Ci's shaft of spear at the very beginning of the exchange of blows?
    Yes, I think the answer is that Taishi dodged and sometimes caught; Sun Ci likewise (mostly) dodged and sometimes caught (under his arm) Taishi's spear.

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    Okay. Now let's come back to the question of the OP:

Should "each thrust of" be removed from "Sun Ce likewise snatched each thrust of Taishi Ci's spear"?

Andygc

British English
    If somebody caught my spear under his arm when he dodged my thrust, I'd pull my spear back and thrust again. I don't see anything wrong with the original text.

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    You don't understand: once gets grabbed/snatched, there's no way you can pull back your spear. The same to Ce and Ci. That's why "The two men closed and grappled, pulling each other down from their saddles."

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    Now I translate the original Chinese directly into English wthout rhetorically polishing to see whether it will be of help in understanding.

...Ci swung around his horse to fight Ce again. They fought for another fifty rounds. Ce thrusted his spear at Ci, who dodged and caught it under his arm; Ci also thrusted his spear at Ce but Ce dodged and grabbed the spear. Both of them pulled their spears with strength and thus fell from their horses.

The below is the Google Translate version, which appears to be a disaster, almost gibberish:

Cidou returned to the horse to fight again, and went to the 50th. Policy one The gun went, the mercy flashed, and the gun was caught; Ci also took a shot, and the policy flashed and caught the gun. Two forces are only one drag, they are rolling off the horse. Come.
    Note: Ce literally means policy and Ci means mercy.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >