sniffle

< Previous | Next >
  • sdgraham

USA English
    As an (AE) dog enthusiast for over a half-century, I feel hat none of the choices provided makes any sense on this side of the pond, either.

I, however, would not use the anthropomorphic "love."

A dog's sense of smell is a primary sensory input, incredibly more sensitive than the human nose. They're just checking up on things.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Of the five original alternatives, "nuzzle" works for me, but "on" is the wrong preposition.

"Whenever I come home, my dog always loves to nuzzle against my shoes and pants trousers". :)

"Whenever I come home, my dog always loves to nuzzle against my shoes and pants trousers". :)
    It should be noted that for most native English speakers, there is nothing wrong with using the word "pants". DonnyB's correction only applies to British English, because in the UK (unlike in most of the English-speaking world) "pants" is not a synonym for "trousers.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    It should be noted that for most native English speakers, there is nothing wrong with using the word "pants". DonnyB's correction only applies to British English, because in the UK (unlike in most of the English-speaking world) "pants" is not a synonym for "trousers.
    Yes indeed: in BE "pants" means underpants and I'm definitely not keen on having my dog nuzzling against my underpants (although I daresay she'd have liked to). :eek:

london calling

UK English
    None of the original suggestions work, I agree.

I find being sniffed by dogs anywhere intensely annoying (and if they don't get dragged off by their owners I then have to put up with being sniffed by the cat when I get home!:D).

london calling

UK English
    Oh, I could name a few… ;)
    I could name more than a few. My dad and my son, for starters.;)

Anyway, getting back to the original post I've just noticed that the OP suggests 'nuzzle' as well, which is fine if you're not talking about shoes and pants/trousers but in any case it doesn't mean 'sniff'. Actually, thinking about it, do we really know what the OP means?

< Previous | Next >