snip and cut... differences? usage?

< Previous | Next >

Artrella

Banned
BA
Spanish-Argentina
I've just been talking to a friend, and he used the word "snip" in this sentence.. "I hold the ribbon and you snip it here"... Then we were discussing about "snip" and "cut" and he said that you always "cut" but not always "snip".

So I asked if I could say "snip it out" instead of "cut it out", and he said no.

Could you give me some orientation about this?

Thank you

• Benjy

English - English
    Artrella said:
    I've just been talking to a friend, and he used the word "snip" in this sentence.. "I hold the ribbon and you snip it here"... Then we were discussing about "snip" and "cut" and he said that you always "cut" but not always "snip".

So I asked if I could say "snip it out" instead of "cut it out", and he said no.

Thank you
    you only snip when you use a scissor(sp?) action to cut something. you can snip with a pair of scissors but not with a knife.

does that help?

te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Artrella said:

Thank you
    Hey art GF;
    Benjy is correct...as is your friend..

you can 'cut'...
    I had my hair cut this morning...
    I cut the piece of paper...
    oh would you cut it out !! (stop)
    my baby cut a new tooth..
    I cut across my neighbours lawn...
    cut a rug...(dance)..
    yadda,yadda..

'snip'
    this is a snip of the plant over there...
    the dead roses need to be snipped..
    she is just a little snip of a girl..(small)

Now if you try to insert 'snip' in place of 'cut' in the above...some work..but most do not..

tg;)

ameridude

USA/English
    "snip" implies a delicate cut with a scissor. It's an informal word which is derived from the sound the scissors makes. It is also a tad effeminate.

Phryne

Argieland--Esp/Eng
    I understand that "snip" means fast and small cuts made with scissors. I can even hear the sound of those small scissors hairstylists use. "Snip", "snip", "snip", it even resembles the sound of doing it. :p

:)

Phryne

Argieland--Esp/Eng
    ameridude said:
    "snip" implies a delicate cut with a scissor. It's an informal word which is derived from the sound the scissors makes. It is also a tad effeminate.
    :rolleyes: I thought it just sounded like the action, but never thought that it was onomatopoeia for real! :p

< Previous | Next >