Snips of whine

britnito

Spain-Spanish
hi!!! what this means: "snips of whine".... i got it from a ralph wiggum´s picture ( from the simpsons..) i know what each word means, but put them together...?? uh uh.... i´ll appreciate a little help!!! thx!...
ah!! i need it in spanish!!! haha, thx!

• A90Six

England - English.
    britnito said:
    hi!!! what this means: "snips of whine".... i got it from a ralph wiggum´s picture ( from the simpsons..) i know what each word means, but put them together...?? uh uh.... i´ll appreciate a little help!!! thx!...
    More context is needed. I could hazard a guess, but it is likely to prove wrong without knowing more.

britnito

Spain-Spanish
    go to my profile and u will see the pic... it is just ralph with his name and the words "snips of whine".....thx!

Brioche

Australia English
    britnito said:
    It sounds to me like a play on words

sips of wine snips of whine

I'd take snips of whine to mean a series of short complaints.

Kelly B

USA English
    Hello, britnito,
    Please use capital letters and punctuation where appropriate, and avoid chatspeak (u, thx). Thank you.

Yes, I saw the picture in your profile page. It is a play on the phrase "sips of wine."
    You said you already understood the word "whine," I think.

Plays on words are notoriously difficult to translate. Would you like this question moved to the Spanish forum?

britnito

Spain-Spanish
    Sorry, you are just like me teacher... Sniff, sniff...
    Well, yes, I thought it was a play of the words, and maybe the original phrase is " sips of wine" but, where does the original phrase come from?. For example , once, in a episodie of "The Simpsons" I saw that in the hospital they got a sign saying "got tumor? and i know that that play of the words comes from the "got milk" stuff...But, this phase from ralph, I have no idea where it comes from, and of course, I have like an idea about what "snips pf the whine" means, but not exactly... help¿?¿?...
    should I move this question tothe Spanish forum? but without removing it from here...

mgarizona

US - American English
    I did a Google Image search but I couldn't find that picture.

"snips of whine" makes no sense as a pun on 'sips of wine' that I can make out. Yes, Ralph Wiggum is a whiney kid. But how does he represent 'snips'

I'm wondering what the context of this image is? Is it part of a series? Are there similar takes on other characters and if so, what do they say? Maybe there's a pattern which would give this some context?

britnito

Spain-Spanish
    Hi Mgarizona!!! I have the picture in my profile!!! check this out!

i just want to know what "snips of whine" means!! that´s al! Sniff Sniff...
    In Spanish, or the explanation in English, both of them are fine..

mgarizona

US - American English
    Yes I saw the picture in your profile. I'm wondering where you found it? Are there other images of Simpsons characters with similar slogans? Perhaps those could provide a key for understanding 'snips of whine'

Kelly B

USA English
    Snips: small bits
    Whine: a really irritating way of speaking, usually used by small children trying to get their parents to do what they want
    Snips of whine: small bits of annoying speech, which is essentially the same thing Brioche said in post #6.

mgarizona

US - American English
    Yes everyone knows what the words mean. The question is the significance of the phrase in relation to Ralph Wiggum. The Simpsons writers are rather clever people. Or at least they usually are. It follows then that this phrase has to mean something, relate to something, tell us something. And "Small bits of annoying speech" is not it.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    Could it be a reference to a "snipe of wine" - a somewhat esoteric term for a quarter bottle - usually used in reference to Champagne.
    What sort of cheapskate buys Champagne by the quarter-bottle? :confused:

erin2282

English, California
    Hi,
    I haven't seen the picture, but I would guess the play on words is a reference to the funny and odd things that Ralph Wiggum would say. He whines when he talks and he says things that make him an outcast at school.

Example of a Ralph Wiggum line:
    "Doctor said I wouldn't have so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger out of there."

Posters of him are often accompanied by a quote, and he is known for random funny one-liners. For this reason I would assume "snips of whine" refer to the snippits of speech from the whiny Ralph Wiggum.

< Previous | Next >