snooker/deceive

arja2012

Arabic
Hi, everyone . I've been trying to know some meanings of the word "snooker " as a verb . And one of it's meanings is "deceive "but I'm not quite sure about it . Could anyone tell me how to be used in sentences ? The most common forms .
thanks in advanced .

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I can't think of how 'snooker' can be used to mean "deceive". Could you give us an example, please - and where you got it from?

heypresto

English - England
    I'm not familiar with 'to snooker' meaning 'to decieve'. Of course, the most common meaning, and the one I'm most familiar with is used in the game of snooker. Outside of the game this meaning is used figuratively to mean making something difficult for somebody by putting obstacles in their way.

Cross-posted with entangledbank - with whom I agree.

heypresto

English - England
    I've never come across this meaning in BE, so maybe it is purely used in AE. We'll have to wait for an AE speaker to shed some light on this.

I expect one will be along soon . . .

Myridon

English - US
    It's still in use but I don't hear it that much any more. Here's the example from Merriam-Webster:
    to make a dupe of : hoodwink
    Examples of SNOOKER

1. <I can't believe you managed to snooker me with that story about being an orphan.>

omidnice

Turkish - Azerbaijani
    I agree with others about its usage, but let's have another example:

Despite his financial cleverness, he got snookered by the bank.

arja2012

Arabic
    Thanks,omidnice. . . I think these two sentences can help me alot to use the word correctly. . Thanks everyone .

MirandaEscobedo

British English
    < Previous | Next >