snow/snowy

WildWest

Turkish
Hello. The below quote is from "Only In Your Dreams", a book by Cecily von Ziegesar:

“Remember that time we watched that movie and you kept pausing it and making me practice the lines with you?” Nate reminisced wistfully. It had been a snow day and school was canceled, so they spent the afternoon cuddling in her bed and watching Breakfast at Tiffany’s, only Blair kept pausing it to recite the lines and trying to convince Nate to go along with it.

Shouldn't it have been snowy instead?

• srk

English - US
    A "snow day" is a day on which school or business is closed because of snow, so the sentence is redundant. I don't know if "snowy" would work in its place. A day can be snowy without the need to shut things down.

(Edit: Something like "A foot of snow had fallen ..." would work better in my opinion. "Snowy" might work for others.)

Last edited:

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    A snow day is a special phrase, meaning that school is canceled, or possibly that work is canceled, because of snow. In fact, it might be used not literally. Someone might say "We had a snow day because of freezing rain."

A snowy day is just a day when it is snowing, perhaps more than usual, or when the ground is covered in snow.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    The use of snowy day is not redundant here.
    But it doesn't use snowy day, it uses snow day. What is redundant is saying both that it was a "snow day" and that "school was cancelled".

I must admit I've never come across this special phrase. I guess we don't have them here often enough.

< Previous | Next >