Snuggle bear

annjuks

Latvian
Hello,

What does the name "snuggle bear" mean? Can you suggest any synonyms in this example:
"You know that I love you, snuggle bear." (If addressed to a real person, not teddy bear).
Does a "snuggle bunny" have a similar meaning?

Thanks

• goldenband

English - American
    It's a "cute" term that would typically be used between lovers, comparing each other to stuffed animals. "Teddy bear" as a term of affection has been around for decades, e.g. Elvis Presley's song asking to "let me be your lovin' teddy bear". But it's usually applied to men, as a way of saying that they're soft-hearted, big and strong, and/or fun to cuddle with.

"Snuggle bear" seems like a descendant of "teddy bear" to me, but is more gender-neutral (though it'd be slightly unusual for a heterosexual man to say that to a woman). "Snuggle bunny" is similar, though to my ear "bunny" has more female connotations than "bear". It'd be very rare to use them about anyone but a significant other (spouse/partner), since you're talking about snuggling with the other person.

Both terms can also seem infantilizing or cutesy, and are slightly sickening to many people, so I'd advise using them with caution.

Mahantongo

English (U.S.)
    The meanings are almost identical. Understand that pet names such as this (or "cookie", or "honey", or any others) should NOT be taken literally. Instead, pet names are fairly interchangeable in meaning.

annjuks

Latvian
    The meanings are almost identical. Understand that pet names such as this (or "cookie", or "honey", or any others) should NOT be taken literally. Instead, pet names are fairly interchangeable in meaning.
    Thank you very much for your clear and helpful explanation.

< Previous | Next >