so are they required

< Previous | Next >

younghon

Korean - Korea
Q: In these sentences, #1 has inversion sentence(so + verb + subject) and #2 has normal sentence (so + subject + verb). Would you please tell me why?

1. Just as both assimilation and accommodation are required in this example, so are they required in many of the child's thinking challenges.

2. Just as there are no two sets of fingerprints alike in the world, so the imprints of animals have a like individuality.

• Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    Just as there are no two sets of fingerprints alike in the world, so the imprints of animals have a like individuality.
    This can be read as: ...so do the imprints of animals have...

Also, I think the voices are different. The first uses a passive structure - so are they required, while it's active in the second - so they have...

younghon

Korean - Korea
    Then in the below sentences, the second sentence(inversion) emphasizes "the imprints of animals" ?
    so the imprints of animals have a like individuality vs so do the imprints of animals have...

Last edited:

younghon

Korean - Korea
    The above sentence structure is like below. So I don't think so doesn't mean therefore.

Just as+Subject+Verb ~,so+auxiliary Verb +Subject / Just as+S+V ~,so+S+V~

lingobingo

English - England
    Sentence 1 has the same subject both times and is a version of a fairly standard construction:
    just as [subject] does A, so does it do B / just as [subject] is A, so [too] is it B

Sentence 2 uses two different ways of expressing the compared just as and so statements, but it’s fine grammatically. However, it, too, could easily have used inversion, even (see Barque’s post #2) with just the addition of the auxiliary verb “do”. Alternatively, it could have been written more simply. And because the statements are negative, neither could be used instead of so.

Just as no two sets of fingerprints are alike, neither are any two sets of animal imprints

< Previous | Next >