So bad

< Previous | Next >

leenico

Senior Member
U.S.A. english
How would I say "you are so bad, someone needs to tame you." My guess is "to sei troppo male, Qualcuno dove addomesticarti." :D
 
  • moodywop

    Banned
    Italian - Italy
    It depends on context, tone(jocular?) and who you are talking to. And a literal translation wouldn't do. I'm thinking of a friend who's always teasing everyone - what I would say to him is Sei proprio una peste. Qualcuno dovrebbe darti una lezione.

    Carlo
     

    lsp

    Senior Member
    NY
    US, English
    "Sei cattiva, qualcuno dovrebbe darti una lezione..." Apparently you have interesting plans for the weekend. :eek:
     

    moodywop

    Banned
    Italian - Italy
    lsp said:
    "Sei cattiva, qualcuno dovrebbe darti una lezione..." Apparently you have interesting plans for the weekend. :eek:
    Lsp

    Now isn't this more fun than discussing the use of finché:) .

    The way I've heard You're so bad used by my American friends is as a jocular response to someone's (just as jocular) sexual innuendo or teasing/flirtatious remarks. Sei cattiva sounds like a serious accusation(unless you say Come sei cattiva! jocularly in response to a girl's bitchy remarks).

    I really can't think of anything closely resembling You're so bad in Italian in this sense. Alfry, Silvia - any ideas?

    Carlo

    PS I didn't mean to sound sexist. I wrote a girl's bitchy remarks because the original example had cattiva. Of course men can be just as bitchy as women:D
     

    Alfry

    Senior Member
    Italian
    it depends on how you are pronouncing "cattiva".
    if it's clear from the tone of your voice that it is a joke then, in my opinion, cattiva is ok.

    in a context such as the one explained by leenico (by the way, facciamo il tifo per te, leenico :D) then I'd suggest, monella, biricchina, or vivace.
     

    giocc

    Senior Member
    Italy, Italian
    I'd fully underwrite moodywop's notes; in italian, other expressions coming to mind might be "sei cattivella" (used to show that "cattiva" is not in a serious sense), "sei birichina", "sei tremenda".
    BTW, sometimes I also hear used "sei una bestiaccia" - whenever i say it to my little daughter, that is. :)
    Ciao
     

    Elisa68

    Senior Member
    Italian
    moodywop said:
    Lsp
    The way I've heard You're so bad used by my American friends is as a jocular response to someone's (just as jocular) sexual innuendo or teasing/flirtatious remarks. Sei cattiva sounds like a serious accusation(unless you say Come sei cattiva! jocularly in response to a girl's bitchy remarks).

    I really can't think of anything closely resembling You're so bad in Italian in this sense. Alfry, Silvia - any ideas?

    Carlo
    :D
    Forse perfida..crudele se proprio deve essere un gioco!!!!:)
     

    moodywop

    Banned
    Italian - Italy
    Alfry said:
    tremenda, si, mi piace anche tremenda, ottimo giocc ;)
    I'd definitely go for tremenda. Bravissimo, giocc. The trouble with monello, birichino etc is that they sound too mild in a context loaded with sexual overtones.

    Btw (but I'd wait for Lsp's expert opinion on U.S. slang), at least the way I've heard it used, you're so bad can also be used by a guy as a jocular half-disapproving response to a one-track-minded male friend who keeps making lewd remarks about women in the street. Sei tremendo would sound perfect in this context.

    Carlo
     

    Silvia

    Senior Member
    Italian
    moodywop said:
    Alfry, Silvia - any ideas?
    I wait for Lee to be back. For the rest, I definitely agree with you all about tremenda, but I don't know about the sexual connotation (it can be or maybe not).
     

    lsp

    Senior Member
    NY
    US, English
    moodywop said:
    I'd definitely go for tremenda. Bravissimo, giocc. The trouble with monello, birichino etc is that they sound too mild in a context loaded with sexual overtones.

    Btw (but I'd wait for Lsp's expert opinion on U.S. slang), at least the way I've heard it used, you're so bad can also be used by a guy as a jocular half-disapproving response to a one-track-minded male friend who keeps making lewd remarks about women in the street. Sei tremendo would sound perfect in this context.

    Carlo
    What a compliment, thanks! "You're so bad" has many, many uses! You're right, moodywop, but Leenico is talking to a girl... (read a few of his posts, get to know him a little, and you'll agree, right, Lee? ;)) His second post really clears it up...
    leenico said:
    What if it were a girl who is always saying suggestive things to you?
    He's flirting back to her... pretending to scold her, calling her bad - all with a wink and a smile - and implying she's wild (unbridled they called it in more romantic times ;)), and needs to be tamed by some big strong man. It's classic that the guys here wish him well!
     
    As always lsp has it exactly right, and perfectly expressed, too. I might add that, in some cases, while pretending to scold it can simultaneously be expressing a sort of admiration for the person's audacity:
    SHE: "Maria's skirt was so tight it had dogs howling in the next county."
    HE: "Oooo -- you're so bad!"
     

    Artrella

    Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    ;)
    leenico said:
    What if it were a girl who is always saying suggestive things to you? :D :D :D


    What about "Tu sei una porcellina/maialina... qualcuno dovrebbe domarti" ( I included maialina/porcellina just for the sexual connotation)

    Che ne pensate italiani?

    Ciao mufmhsggg! ;)
     
    < Previous | Next >
    Top