so did the force of the expectation

< Previous | Next >

blue-pea

Thai
I heard similar tales about my mother. As she grew ever more goddness-like in my mind, so did the force of the expectation that I would follow in the family traditon.

I wonder about "so did the force of the expectation ".

And where did "the did" come from?

Did it come from "so the force of the expectation grew that I would follow in the family tradition"

Why do we have to put "did" in front of "the force of expectation"? Could you please explain me about its grammar rule?

• blue-pea

Thai
    Sorry! I don't know the source and the author. It is a passage of an English examination. And I 'm not sure about the meaning of goddness-like.

I can give some more sentences.

Three generations of people in my family were teacher. That was what we did. I heard stories of the students my grandmother had taught, the school she was in, the night she was up with homework to correct. I heard similar tales about my mother. As she grew ever more goddness-like in my mind, so did the force of the expectation that I would follow in the family traditon.

Copyright

American English
    Thank you ... I think the sentence should be "As she grew ever more goddess-like in my mind (like a goddess, someone to be revered), so did the force of the expectation that I would follow in the family tradition."

It's saying that as she (her mother) grew in stature in my mind, so did the force of the expectation (of others in the family) grow that I would also become a teacher.

There are two things growing here: the mother's stature and the expectation that the girl would also become a teacher.

blue-pea

Thai
    Thank you so much Copyright! And I was wondering why we have to put "did".

Can we cut "did" and say like this

1. It's saying that as she (her mother) grew in stature in my mind, so the force of the expectation (of others in the family) grew that I would also become a teacher or

2. As she grew ever more goddness-like in my mind, so the force of the expectation grew that I would follow in the family traditon.

Copyright

American English
    This is probably all right:
    As she grew every more goddess-like in my mind, so the force of the expectation grew that I would also become a teacher.

You have to be a little careful, though. The "did" implies they grew together in strength, while dropping it and leaving all the work to "so" suggests that the two elements grew in the same way, the same manner. Here, I don't see too much difference between the two versions, except that removing "did" forces you to repeat "grew," which the author likely decided wasn't desirable ... and with which I agree.

Note that the term is probably "goddess-like." Like a goddess.

< Previous | Next >