So Far

ss1981

Hindi/India
Hi,

What should be the correct position of 'so far' in the sentence below:

I will try to exceed the levels of excellence I have achieved in my academic and professional life so far.
OR
I will try to exceed the levels of excellence I have achieved so far in my academic and professional life.

I am not clear about the subtle difference that the position may be creating. Please enlighten.

Thanks

• mgarizona

US - American English
    Hi,

What should be the correct position of 'so far' in the sentence below:

I will try to exceed the levels of excellence I have achieved in my academic and professional life so far.
    OR
    I will try to exceed the levels of excellence I have achieved so far in my academic and professional life.:tick:

I am not clear about the subtle difference that the position may be creating. Please enlighten.

Thanks

The second is more natural. The first is not incorrect but it does put the stress on the limitations of your professional life instead of on your achievements, if that makes any sense.

Good luck.

french4beth

US-English
    The second is more natural. The first is not incorrect but it does put the stress on the limitations of your professional life instead of on your achievements, if that makes any sense.
    I agree with mgarizona - also, the phrase is closer to the verb, so the sentence flows more smoothly.