So girl I'm flirting with a little over text is being a bit

Vanloon

Hindi
What is the underlined sentence mean?

So girl I'm flirting with a little over text is being a bit odd
. She doesn't initiate often (but then neither do I) but she's always receptive to flirting. Weird thing is she'll randomly cut off, we're flirting back and forth and in the middle, sometimes even when I've asked a question she'll just leave it. Other times she replies days later. I know she's not busy or super social just feels like a weird mind game. Any theories?http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1975162

This is the whole text but why there is 'so girl' at first time? A little over text means... what?

Thanks in advance!

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    "So" is a general introduction. People sometimes start sentences that way in speech in order to get a listener's attention before they start to say whatever they want to say. If you miss the "so," you haven't missed anything. Once someone gets used to speaking that way, the style can carry over into writing (where there is no reason for it).

People who post in Internet chat forums (other than this one :)) don't always try to use correct English.

As for "a little over text:" we have a rule of one question per thread. That makes it easier to find threads on a specific topic later. Please start another thread to ask that question.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    This should be, "So, the girl [whom I'm flirting a little with] overby text is being a bit odd. I have enclosed the adjectival phrase, qualifying "girl", in brackets.

"So" is a meaningless word often used to introduce a subject of conversation, "So, I understand you collect stamps." It is the equivalent of "This is what I'm going to say. I may not have much to do with what we were talking about recently."

Hau Ruck

English - U.S.
    This should be, "So, the girl [whom I'm flirting a little with] overby text is being a bit odd. I have enclosed the adjectival phrase, qualifying "girl", in brackets.
    Not to say that it is "correct", per se, but many people say "over text" as they would say "over the phone."

It's quite common in AE speech.

< Previous | Next >