So, iha so, habibi haba so!

Luc4

Italy, Italian
Hi. A girl wrote me this sentence:

So, iha so, habibi haba so!
Somebody told me it is Arabic. Is it correct? Is there someone able to translate it?
Many thanks.

• cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    :) It's a song by Mohammed Mounir (an Egyptian singer)
    It says so ya so, Habibi Habasooh سو يا سو حبيبي حبسوه
    "So" is a Nubian word (for Nuba, the South of Egypt, they have their own language, Mounir is Nubian, and sometimes used Nubian words in his songs). It means something like "oh my!"
    The rest is Arabic, and says "they took my loved one to prison".

Luc4

Italy, Italian
    Thanks a lot. So the spelling was completely wrong. mmh... I can't understand why she's telling this to me :).
    Thanks anyway.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    The spelling is ok. Notice that it's just a transliteration.
    If you want to know why she said that, you need to give us context. The song is actually a sort of funny or cute, not a melodramatic one at all :D

Luc4

Italy, Italian
    Sorry for the ignorance, does transliteration mean it is not possible to determine a unique spelling?
    I think she was referring to the song you're talking about. I have no context, it was simply a sms she sent. Maybe the only one who can explain to me the meaning it's her :).
    Thanks.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    :) In this case, yes, I think she's the only one to know.

As for transliteration, yes : there are different ways of transliterating words. It all depend on your choice of the way you put down what you hear.
    For example, you can write Habibi, Habeebee, Habyby, Habíbí, 7abibi...... They all "read" the same, while written in different ways, and only one way in Arabic :) حبيبي

< Previous | Next >