<So it is>! When Jesus refused the devil’s money

longxianchen

chinese
Hi, Merry Christmas
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 385, chapter 17) by Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background: Connie was in Venice, together with her sister Hilda. The following was describing a gondolier, Daniele, who was real man as Mellors, and didn't prostitute himself.……)

He was a little wild, uncouth and proud. So he was hireling to the rather doggy Giovanni who was hireling again to two women. So it is! When Jesus refused the devil’s money, he left the devil like a Jewish banker, master of the whole situation.

I'm not sure whether so it is here means I see, that explains the matter, it should be like this, or it's true.
By the way, the logic is: Daniele had to take money, because he didn't want to be another Jesus (Jesus left the devil control the whole situation, which is not a pleasant result for Daniele,
after Jesus refused the devil's offer).

Could you give me some help please?
Thank you in advance

Last edited:
  • natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, is is existential. 'So this is the way thing are' or 'so this is the way things go'.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Or "That's life!"

The quote below is an inaccurate reflection of what Lawrence was saying. Daniele is simply a character in the novel: he isn't thinking any of this. Lawrence is talking about him as a working man who' like all working class people, has no choice but to work in order to survive.
    Lawrence is making bitter comments about capitalist society.

By the way, the logic is: Daniele had to take money, because he didn't want to be another Jesus (Jesus left the devil control the whole situation, which is not a pleasant result for Daniele, after Jesus refused the devil's offer).

< Previous | Next >