"so says"

< Previous | Next >

su_

turkey/turkish
Hello,
is it possible to end a letter saying "so says"? What does it mean? Is it formal or informal? Thank you in advance.

• tannen2004

English/USA
    I've never seen it used at the end of a letter. It's definitely not common. I would find it rather pretentious. (It reminds me of something like "So says the King" at the end of a royal decree.) I would not recommend using it in a letter that you are writing.

su_

turkey/turkish
    Thank you for your reply. Perhaps it can be used in a letter to friend just to be funny :)

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    If you are looking for a closing you might use, you should look at the threads listed under closing letter. There are discussions of both informal and formal closings, as well as closings for specific contexts.

Edit: Apparently it was a letter from a friend, and this answers my first question, which I have deleted.

su_

turkey/turkish
    I haven't seen but heard someone saying it. Perhaps he was making a joke. But would it be funny if I end my informal letter to a friend saying "so says su_" pretending as a king/queen?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I think it would be funny.

To me it would sound like either pretending to be royalty, or some wise person that other people quote, like a famous philosopher or religious person.

As you say, it would be suitable for a letter to a good friend who would know you were joking.

< Previous | Next >