so sehr er sich auch bemüht (Funktion "auch")

< Previous | Next >

Reitschuster

Russian - Kazakhstan
Guten Morgen.

"Ich habe mich auch gewundert
So sehr er sich auch bemühte
Was du auch tust
Wie dem auch mag

Auch so"

Try hard as I might, I could never understand "auch" meaning something other than just "too, as well". Could someone please explain the usage of this very special word? It seems rather confusing, as none of the aforesaid examples can be translated as "too or as well"

• bearded

Hello
    The word 'auch' is often a part of ''concessive/indefinite conjunctions'' introducing subordinate clauses starting (in English) with ''although/whatever/whoever...' and similar - in German: was..auch, wer..auch, so sehr..auch (often with the addition of 'immer': was..auch immer...).
    - was du auch tust =
    whatever you may do..
    - so sehr er mich auch liebt = though he loves me/as much as he may love me...
    - wohin er auch geht = wherever he may go (though he may go anywhere).....
    In your initial and final examples (ich habe mich auch gewundert / auch so) the word 'auch' appears to retain its more usual meaning of 'also/too'
    (I was also surprised / in this way, too).

Last edited:

elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Try hard as I might, I could never understand "auch" meaning something other than just "too, as well".
    This is really ironic, since the underlined part of your sentence could be rendered as "So sehr ich mich auch bemühe" in German! :p

It's almost like you did it on purpose. :D

Kajjo

@BM: Sehr gute Erklärung und schöne Beispiele. Da habe ich gleich noch ein wenig Englisch bei gelernt...

"Try hard as I might" vs. "Try as hard as I might"

Is there a second "as" possible?

Why not "Trying as hard as I might"?

Reitschuster

Russian - Kazakhstan
    Hello
    The word 'auch' is often a part of ''concessive/indefinite conjunctions'' introducing subordinate clauses starting (in English) with ''although/whatever/whoever...' and similar - in German: was..auch, wer..auch, so sehr..auch (often with the addition of 'immer': was..auch immer...).
    - was du auch tust =
    whatever you may do..
    - so sehr er mich auch liebt = though he loves me/as much as he may love me...
    - wohin er auch geht = wherever he may go (though he may go anywhere).....
    In your initial and final examples (ich habe mich auch gewundert / auch so) the word 'auch' appears to retain its more usual meaning of 'also/too'
    (I was also surprised / in this way, too).
    Thanks a lot, the bearded man! You've helped me out again!'
    But speaking of my previous and final examples
    Linguee.de translates ich habe mich auch gewundert as "I was surprised/I was rather surprised/
    Dict.cc translates auch so as "anyway"
    What's your opinion on this?

This is really ironic, since the underlined part of your sentence could be rendered as "So sehr ich mich auch bemühe" in German! :p

It's almost like you did it on purpose. :D
    :D

@BM: Sehr gute Erklärung und schöne Beispiele. Da habe ich gleich noch ein wenig Englisch bei gelernt...

"Try hard as I might" vs. "Try as hard as I might"

Is there a second "as" possible?

Why not "Trying as hard as I might"?
    Because "try hard as I might" is an idiom, similar to "try as I might/may". I think it is possible. Compare:
    "As hard as I can/As hard as I try
    I'm as bad as I could be"

But again, try hard as I might is an idiom, so adding a second "as" to it would make it sound wrong, or at least for me.

Last edited:

bearded

But speaking of my previous and final examples
    Linguee.de translates ich habe mich auch gewundert as "I was surprised/I was rather surprised/
    Dict.cc translates auch so as "anyway"
    What's your opinion on this?
    ''I was rather surprised'' does not appear to me to be a very good translation of ''ich habe mich auch gewundert''.
    ''Anyway'', on the contrary, might render ''auch so'' in certain contexts: 'auch so' (lit. thus, too) can mean ''also in this case''=anyway/trotzdem.
    Sie ist gar nicht hübsch, aber ich liebe sie auch so /
    She is not pretty at all, but I love her anyway.

Reitschuster

Russian - Kazakhstan
    ''I was rather surprised'' does not appear to me to be a very good translation of ''ich habe mich auch gewundert''.
    ''Anyway'', on the contrary, might render ''auch so'' in certain contexts: 'auch so' (lit. thus, too) can mean ''also in this case''=anyway/trotzdem.
    Sie ist gar nicht hübsch, aber ich liebe sie auch so /
    She is not pretty at all, but I love her anyway.
    That explained everything, thanks

< Previous | Next >