So tag, you are it.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by a_po11, Jul 22, 2011.

1. a_po11 Member

in my house
    Cantonese
    In <big bang theory>, Sheldon was being annoying, so one of his friend dumped him on another friend and said that "I gave him a valium but he still couldn't shut up, so tag, you are it".

what does "Tag, you are it" mean??
    Thank you

2. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    Tag is a children's game

From the dictionary here
    Often "being caught" in this game means simply being touched by the person who is currently "it" (i.e. the chaser). Once the chaser finds someone else and touches him, he says "Tag, you're it". That person then has to find someone else to chase/find/tag. And so on.
    In the episode you refer to , the chore is to look after this annoying friend - the friend dumps Sheldon and says "Tag you're it" meaning you will have to look after him until YOU can find someone else (to be "it").

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  3. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    If you don't know the game of Tag, this Wiki article will help. Here's a brief look quoted from that page: A group of players (two or more) decide who is going to be 'it', often using a counting-out game such as Eeny, meeny, miny, moe. The player selected to be 'it' then chases the others, attempting to get close enough to tag them—a touch with the hand—while the others try to escape.

You often hear "Tag, you're it" (using the contraction) said by the person who tags someone else.

Edit: Cross-posted with JulianStuart's excellent explanation.

4. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    When people play "tag", A Po11, one person is "it". That person chases the other people until he touches one of them. Then he says "Tag. You are 'it'". Then the new person who is "it" starts chasing people, and the game goes on like this.

When the friend dumped Sheldon on the other friend, that was like playing a game of tag. Whoever is stuck with Sheldon is "it".

Note: Cross-posting with some of the usual suspects again. :)

5. Cruithne New Member

English
    "Tag" is a children's game. The person who is "it" chases and has to touch ("tag") one of the other players. When another player is tagged, they become the new "it" and the old "it" is now free to run away.
    Typically, the old "it" can't be tagged by new "it" at least for a short period of time.
    The use of "Tag, you are it" has entered English as an expression we use when passing something (or in this case someone) onto another person.

6. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    I think four near-simultaneous answers tell you that a lot of people know how to play tag, so it's widely understood in your context -- or almost any context, really.

7. Where I live, we call the game tig, not tag, and the chaser is on, not it.

Rover

8. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Tig, you're on ... ???

I seldom laugh at other people's practices, but I'm starting to feel a giggle. (A slightly wiser giggle than I usually produce, however, so thanks for the laugh and the insight.) :)

9. OMT Senior Member

English - United States
    Being "it" in the American versions of Tag or Hide-and-seek is the same as being the "ghost" in the Chinese version of hide-and-seek.

10. Hermione Golightly

Hermione Golightly Senior Member

London
    British English
    Yes, Rover, same in Newcastle in the 40's and 50's - we called the game 'tiggy' and 'tiggy on high' was our favourite version. What huge fun.

Hermione

11. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima (English Only)

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    But Tag and Hide-and-Seek are different games, aren't they? Growing up in this part of the world, we called the game (Tag, that is) chasing.

12. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Tag and Hide-and-Seek are very different games where I'm from -- hence the two names. :D

13. ewie

ewie Senior Member

Another Country
    English English
    It was Tig, you're on! for me too (about 12 miles and a few decades away from Rover). (There was always a designated 'safe area' where you couldn't be tigged, which was called ~ heaven knows why ~ barley: "You can't tig me, I'm in barley":))

14. OMT Senior Member

English - United States
    At its heart, the game is the exact same. The difference is whether everyone who is not it keeps running or stands still while hiding.

15. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    I'm starting to find that charming ... and just to stay on topic, I'll repeat that whatever term you use -- Tag, you're it or Tig, you're on -- would normally use the contraction.