So (that) it's not: the purpose is that it won't be

< Previous | Next >
Hello everyone,

My question is regarding the construction "so it's not" meaning "with the purpose that it won't be". Is the use idiomatic/common? If not, what do you suggest? Please take a look.

a. I'll talk to her about what happened so it's not a problem for you. [= the purpose of talking is to prenvent it from becoming a problem.]
b. The teacher is absent but we'll show you a video so it's not a wasted trip. [= the purpose of the video is to prevent the coming here from becoming a wasted trip.]

Thank you in advance!

• wolfbm1

Polish
    Hullo X. I'd use will in both of those: so it won't be:)
    I wonder if using "so (that) it's not" in Xavier da Silva's sentences is completely out of the question in British English. :confused:

I thought that after "so that" one can use either the simple present or the simple future, if the main clause isn't in the past tense.

wandle

English - British
    Like ewie, I would use the future tense to express purpose in that context.

If I heard the sentence, 'I'll talk to her about what happened so it's not a problem for you', I would understand it as expressing result: 'I'll talk to her about what happened; consequently, it's not a problem for you'.
    Similarly with the second example.

wolfbm1

Polish
    If I heard the sentence, 'I'll talk to her about what happened so it's not a problem for you', I would understand it as expressing result: 'I'll talk to her about what happened; consequently, it's not a problem for you'.
    Similarly with the second example.
    I think we could also replace "so" with "and so" to explain a result:

'I'll talk to her about what happened and so it's not a problem for you'
    (If we wanted to replace "so" with "so that" (to express purpose) we would have to use a future tense. And then :
    'I'll talk to her about what happened so that it won't be a problem for you')

< Previous | Next >