'So that somebody would like to do something' structure

nimfae

Lithuanian
Hi. I would like to as you if this sentence is ok. Is 'would' correct here? Or maybe only present simple of 'prefer' is correct? Or even past simple? What grammar rule is to be followed in case of this sentence structure?

We seek to spread information about what places of interest we have in this country so that tourists who come to our country would prefer to come back again.

• nimfae

Lithuanian
    Ok, I see. How to change the sentence to clearly have the subjunctive mood here? 'Will' sounds ok, and is it also ok to say 'so that tourists come back again'? the present simple - is this also correct?

london calling

UK English
    Ok, I see. How to change the sentence to clearly have the subjunctive mood here? 'Will' sounds ok, and is it also ok to say 'so that tourists come back again'?:tick: the present simple - is this also correct?
    Why do you want to use the subjunctive? I thought the idea was that you wanted the tourists to come back, not that you may want them to come back. And would prefer is the conditional anyway, not the subjunctive.

nimfae

Lithuanian
    Hm... I don't know. I suppose, I am sort of mistaken because of some gaps in my English knowledge and I am therefore not sure of what to do.

< Previous | Next >