so +verb+ as to

< Previous | Next >

dewylotus

chinese
It has been suggested that a work which would so deal with the subject as to render it at once interesting and instructive would be hailed as a valuable intruduction to the study of classic authors.

Can verb be used in the structure "so~as to~"? Can I say: I so love you as to buy you a luxurious Rolex.

Many thanks.

• wandle

English - British
    The structure is correct, but it is not usual in spoken language.
    The traditional text of the Bible says, 'God so loved the world that he sent his only-begotten son'.
    In speech, the structure would usually be: 'loved the world so much that he sent ..'

Last edited:

pure_chance

Korean
    I have read the passage says...

On the other hand, if the original basis for the hypothesis was slender, the unfavorable instances may so outweigh the favorable ones as to make it reasonable to believe that the earlier agreement was a matter of pure chance.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I have read the passage says...

On the other hand, if the original basis for the hypothesis was slender, the unfavorable instances may so outweigh the favorable ones as to make it reasonable to believe that the earlier agreement was a matter of pure chance.
    I find that fine, Pure Chance, whereas I couldn't take the sentence in the OP.

< Previous | Next >