So, we meet again

Discussion in 'English Only' started by SugarSpunSister, Aug 17, 2015.

1. SugarSpunSister Member

Spanish- Argentina
    Hello! I'm currently studying Translation and I have to work with an article of the Economist about the Greek crisis. Its name is "So, we meet again." I want to know if this is some kind of idiomatic phrase that I don't know or if it only refers to two people meeting again.
    Thanks in advance! :)

2. The Newt

The Newt Senior Member

USA / EEUU
    English - US
    I would call it more of a cliché than an idiomatic phrase. The literal meaning is exactly what it sounds like, but it might often be used to create an atmosphere of drama (or melodrama).

3. Glenfarclas Senior Member

Chicago
    English (American)
    Yes, a cliché. It's the sort of thing a James Bond villain would say dramatically to James Bond.

4. sorry66

sorry66 Senior Member

France
    English, England
    ' 'til we meet again', 'we'll meet again' and 'so we meet again' feature in lots of films, books and songs as significant dialogue and as titles.

5. Parla Member Emeritus

New York City
    English - US
    If you read the first two paragraphs of the article, which was published on July 11, you'll find that in this case, the title was intended literally: It refers to the euro-zone summit that had taken place on July 7 and new discussions that were scheduled for July 12.

6. velisarius

velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    It's a cliche, as others have said. The Economist is very fond of puns and wordplay in its titles. It would be recognised as such by most readers, even though it's literally about the leaders meeting again.

7. SugarSpunSister Member

Spanish- Argentina
    Lovely answers! Thank you all! So, I'll have to recreate that "James Bond atmosphere".
    You've all been very useful :)

8. Ivan_I Senior Member

Russian
    Guys, is it possible to use another verb than "meet"?

So, we work again! (in the same shift for example)
    So, we study talk again! (we talked yesterday)
    etc.

9. The Newt

The Newt Senior Member

USA / EEUU
    English - US
    I wouldn't do it. It's not an idiom that particularly lends itself to variations.