So, Well

PatrickK1

USA English
1) "So, what do you think?" "Well, what do you think?"

Basically, the context would be that you've just shared a detailed idea or proposal, and you are using "So" or "Well" ("So" would be more common, FYI) to signal that you're done.

2) "I drank too much last night, so I've felt terrible all day."

Here it means "and for that reason" (поэтому). Is there an equivalent in Russia.

3) "So?" "So what?"

This is not very polite, and it can be downright rude or condescending depending on your delivery. It's when someone shares facts, an opinion, a concern, and then someone else is basically saying "What does that matter?" or "I'm aware of that; what's your point?" or even "I don't care."

4) So...

This would just be used to fill a silence. It could be humorous in tone (Like "Вот такие вот дела", I think) or sensual (ie. guy and a girl talking at a bar), or just neutral( "Soooo...where should we go tonight, guys?")

--

So, what would be the appropriate Russian equivalents for these? :)

• Awwal12

Russian
    1) "So, what do you think?" "Well, what do you think?"

Basically, the context would be that you've just shared a detailed idea or proposal, and you are using "So" or "Well" ("So" would be more common, FYI) to signal that you're done.
    "Так что ты думаешь?"
    "Ну что ты думаешь?"
    2) "I drank too much last night, so I've felt terrible all day."

Here it means "and for that reason" (поэтому). Is there an equivalent in Russia.
    "(И) поэтому", "так что", "и из-за этого", "и потому" etc. Some differences in the degree of formality may exist.
    "So?" "So what?"

This is not very polite, and it can be downright rude or condescending depending on your delivery. It's when someone shares facts, an opinion, a concern, and then someone else is basically saying "What does that matter?" or "I'm aware of that; what's your point?" or even "I don't care."
    "Ну и?"
    "Ну так что?"
    4) So...

This would just be used to fill a silence. It could be humorous in tone (Like "Вот такие вот дела", I think) or sensual (ie. guy and a girl talking at a bar), or just neutral( "Soooo...where should we go tonight, guys?")
    "Ну..."
    "Ну что..."
    "Да..." (sometimes it will be more appropriate)
    During my English-Russian translations I often faced a problem that English "So..." and "Well..." just haven't full, stable analogues in Russian. In many cases "ну" will do, in some cases it won't.

Meowth2005

Russian
    1.) Так что ты думаешь? Ну и что ты думаешь? И что ты думаешь? Итак, каково твое мнение?
    2.) Я выпил слишком много вчера вечером и поэтому мне сегодня весь день плохо. Я столько выпил вчера вечером, что сегодня весь день мне плохо.
    Я очень много выпил вчера вечером и сегодня чувствую себя ужасно.
    3.) И что? И что дальше? И что теперь? Ну и что? И чего? Что из этого следует?
    4.) Так вот, итак, вот, короче говоря (It is equal to "to sum up", but has mostly lost this very meaning, so it is often used to fill gaps in speech), значит. These are very many, but I can't remember them all just at once.

< Previous | Next >