So, when he started <to ab [sic] lib>, I got off track there

AntiScam

Arabic
Hello,

What was the word the Novascotian speaker tried to say when she said <ab...lib>?

And, of course, he couldn’t find anybody to do this with him, and so he was pulling me aside and asking me to do it, and I said well I’m not an actress, you know, I just like being the center of attention so I get on stage every now and again. But he insisted. So even with my memory I tried to, to memorize all of the, uh, the play, which I did, but I memorized it word by word. So, when he started to ab [sic] lib, I got off track there, and I was waiting for the last word, which never came, and so I skipped from the first scene to the third scene.
Source: IDEA

• heypresto

English - England
    The correct term is 'ad lib'.

From the WR Dictionary:

v. to improvise all or part of (a speech, a piece of music, etc.):[~ + object]He ad-libbed his speech.[no object]He ad-libbed for an hour.

suzi br

English / England
    The target word is ad lib. Not very different. It is derived from Latin words and means to make things up "freely" - to improvise on the spot, to go away from the planned script. In this case they are literally talking about a script, but we can use the words "ad lib" for other contexts too, such as adapting your activity to account for new events.

< Previous | Next >