soak it all in

wanabee

Japanese
Dear all,

Now that she realized she couldn't leave the smelly joint, she decided she might as well soak it all in.

I made it up. I guess "to soak it all in" means something like "to immerse oneself in the situation and enjoy it fully".
Could someone tell me what the "it" in "soak it all in" refers to?

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Now that she realized she couldn't leave the smelly joint, she decided she might as well soak it all in. = Now that she realized she couldn't leave the smelly joint, she decided she might as well immerse herself in the situation/experience :)thumbsup:) and appreciate the surroundings and atmosphere in a relaxed manner.

wanabee

Japanese
    Thank you very much, PaulQ!
    I understand that's just how you say it, but I would appreciate if you told me the reason for saying "soak it all in" instead of, say, "soak all in it".

Myridon

English - US
    Soak it "all" in = Soak it in completely. "It" is the object of "soak".
    "Soak all in it" Soak all of what in it? "Soak" has no object here, but it needs one. Soak all the clothes in it.
    (I think the original can also be read as "soak all of it in." Regardless of the role of "all", "it" is the object of soak (soak it in), not what something is soaking in (soak in it).)

wanabee

Japanese
    Soak it "all" in = Soak it in completely. "It" is the object of "soak".
    "Soak all in it" Soak all of what in it? "Soak" has no object here, but it needs one. Soak all the clothes in it.
    (I think the original can also be read as "soak all of it in." Regardless of the role of "all", "it" is the object of soak (soak it in), not what something is soaking in (soak in it).)
    Thank you very much, Myridon!
    I see. What would you feel the "it all" refers to? All her time and attention?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Thank you very much, Myridon!
    I see. What would you feel the "it all" refers to? All her time and attention?
    The situation, experience, the surroundings and atmosphere.

"After a long walk, he reached the top of the hill. The view from the top was amazing. He sat on the ground and soaked it all in." He was "soaking in the view"

Please note that the verb is "to soak in" it is a transitive phrasal verb meaning roughly, "to absorb mentally".

wanabee

Japanese
    Thank you very much, PaulQ!
    Please note that the verb is "to soak in" it is a transitive phrasal verb meaning roughly, "to absorb mentally".
    I was preoccupied with its instansitive use!

< Previous | Next >