soap <dish><holder>

Mnemon

Persian - پارسی - 𐎱𐎾𐎿𐎡
According to my book, "Longman Photo Dictionary of American English", a container in a bathroom where toothbrushes are kept when not in use is called "toothbrush holder", but when it comes to soap, the container should be called "soap dish".
My question here is that, would it be unnatural to say "soap holder" instead of "soap dish"?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
  • Uncle Jack

British English
    You can use "soap holder" if you like, but since many soap holders are dish-shaped, they are called soap dishes. I would not call a wire thing such as you might have in a shower a "soap dish".

lingobingo

English - England
    It really doesn’t matter what you call any of these things. The manufacturer’s description of an item rarely matches what it’s called by the people who use it.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I don't like cleaning the little wire thing - it's a fixture in my shower, so I use a "soap dish" precariously balanced on the immovable "soap holder".

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    In many parts of the US a container with widely spaced wires at its bottom to hold fruit is colloquially called 'that wire thing for fruit' rather than 'dish.'

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I've been known to talk about "wire baskets", but unlike "soap holders", they have raised sides to keep the contents (fruit, eggs, other) from falling out.

< Previous | Next >