sob slightly or lightly ?

< Previous | Next >

Rumo333

German - Germany
Hello!
I'm really sorry if I'm starting to bug you!
Anyway

Would you say someone sobs lightly or they sob slightly?
It's the same with cry, for example, or weep or blush. So, what about blush?
I've seen a similar thread somewhere around here, but I didn't find it quite helpful concerning my question.

• JamesM

Since sobbing is a sound, I think it's more common to say "sobs softly". The same goes for crying or weeping. If no noise is made you could say "silently".

As for blushing, I suppose I would use "faintly" or "slightly".

JamesM

"Sobbed" is a pretty dramatic action, in my view of the word. I don't think anyone sobs slightly or lightly. Someone can be overcome with grief and sob nearly silently but the action is still dramatic. Sobbing involves involuntary breathing spasms, as I see it.

It's an odd pairing to me, like "got a little furious". :) If you're furious, you're way past a little of anything.

Rumo333

German - Germany
    No, I just assumed that it could be like that in English, too.
    If you sob slightly in German, it's more like sniffing or something. I didn't know you don't use that. Actually, both languages are quite similar.
    For example:

I was baffled when I heard that you use the phrase "I'm all ears". That's almost a literal translation of the phrase we have in German.

Last edited:

JamesM

Sniffing is also a word. It wasn't really a misspelling. :)

Someone who is sniffling may have just finished sobbing or may be trying not to sob. (The person might also just have a cold.)

Rumo333

German - Germany
    Actually, I meant the "all ears".
    Anyway, yeah, I looked that one up with my nice dictionary here and it said both "sniff" and "sniffle" and I was unsure which to use. :)
    So, thank you a lot! :D

< Previous | Next >