Soccer/football

gigibuffon

english canada
If I were talking french to someone who was french and i wanted to say 'soccer' would i say soccer/football? or is some other word for it ?
for example in italian soccer is - calcio

- thank you !

• jimreilly

American English
    I would say "football" to someone French. And if I wanted to make sure they understood I didn't mean American football (since I am American), I could say "football européen, pas football américain"

sylber

Hi, I think that for a Frenchman, there is no possible ambiguity: football refers to soccer. In practice, most of the time, we just say 'le foot', as in 'jouer au foot' or 'un match de foot'.

jimreilly

American English
    Yes, generally there is no ambiguity--but one might arise if a Frenchman were talking with an American like me, and I wanted to make sure that he knew that I knew, etc....

But now this has left me wondering: "le foot" and "football" are not exactly French words. Did they cross the Channel from you-know-where and miss getting caught by the language alguazils? Or was there some other way they entered the French language?

sylber

Well, I have found that the first club was founded in 1872, but the game undoubtedly was invented by the Brits, just like rugby. In those days, French was still the dominant language and I suppose that l'Académie Française was so certain that it would remain so that they didn't really care if one or two English words crept into our beloved idiom.

Franglais1969

English English, français rouillé
    I am pretty sure that Canadian French people call football "le soccer," however. I am certain I have seen them say this in conversation with me.

femmefee

Canada
    I am pretty sure that Canadian French people call football "le soccer," however. I am certain I have seen them say this in conversation with me.
    Yes, to differentiate soccer and American football. But the proper French I've learnt is "le foot" as sylber said, and to me means soccer.

Bastoune

French & English - Canada
    In Canada one says "le soccer" for "soccer" ("soccer" is actually an Irish Gaelic word, by the way), and "le football" for American football.

I'd suggest saying "football américain" always when speaking to a French person/European francophone to designate "American football" but the problem arises that if you just say "le football" or "le foot" the person will automatically ask you (since you're American) which "football" you mean... so you can also say, "le football europeen" or I used to say, "le football... le soccer... le football mondial..."

YES, I'd say all three in a row like that to make my point!!! Because as a French-Canadian they'd never know which "foot" I meant either, and I didn't want to end up putting my "foot" in my mouth! (HA HA HA!)

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    The way I understand it:

Soccer in American English is foot (short for football) in French.

American football does not exist in Europe (to my knowledge), so you would have to say football américain / American football to be understood.

keumar83

French
    In Canada one says "le soccer" for "soccer" ("soccer" is actually an Irish Gaelic word, by the way), and "le football" for American football.
    What's your source? I doubt it very much, doesn't look like Gaelic spelling to me...

I think I may have found the right etymology:

Néologisme entré dans l’argot étudiant britannique par abréviation de l’expression anglaise association footballassoc. »). Il fait la paire avec rugger désignant le rugby football c’est-à-dire le rugby.

< Previous | Next >