social drinker

< Previous | Next >

redot

Chinese
He's a social drinker

I need confirm the meaning: social drinker is someone who love drinking a lot?

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Thanks redot. Just type a word or term in the Dictionary search box at the top of any forum page. Even if the word or words do not appear as a dictionary entry, the page you see will show any thread titles containing the term. It's quick, easy, and useful.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Hm... I'm surprised by the WR definition ("someone who drinks liquor repeatedly in small quantities"). I always thought a social drinker was someone who generally doesn't care for alcohol but will drink moderate quanitites of alcohol in "a social setting," such as a restaurant, a bar, a party, etc. So such a person is not likely to order a beer if dining alone or even to have alcohol at home, but will accept a glass of wine at a party and might order an alcoholic beverage when eating out with others.

The WR definition includes those who drink at home but not in public, but I would not classify such people as "social drinkers."

Cypherpunk

US, English
    Hmm. I don't really agree with that definition, either, but I think you've got the wrong idea, too, elroy.
    I know many people who consider themselves social drinkers that enjoy various types of alcohol. They simply don't drink often or in large amounts. Perhaps they drank alcohol more often or in greater quantities, when they were younger. Perhaps they never drank in anything other than a social setting. For whatever reason, they do not drink much or often, now.
    I think if a person doesn't like alcohol, then they are much more likely to be a teetotaler (someone who never drinks).

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Hi, Cypherpunk. I actually agree with you. :) I shouldn't have said "generally doesn't care for alcohol." I should have just said "generally doesn't drink much alcohol," which is what I actually meant.

ewie

English English
    I agree with Elroy and CypherP to the extent that I really think the WRef definition needs changing: a social drinker is virtually the opposite of a tippler. A tippler can't stop himself; a social drinker rarely starts.

George French

English - UK
    At a party I have a few drinks; at home I rarely take alcoholic drinks. I am a social drinker. I drink a little when I am with others who are drinking. I often have one beer and then drink non-alcoholic drinks, but I am still a social drinker.

Gf..

< Previous | Next >