Social niceties

asm

Senior Member
Mexico, Spanish
I need to congratulate a person with as many languages I can.
I have a list of some social words you use to congratulate or to express sympathies to the other person, or just to "say hello".

I hope this works because this is my first time:eek: , and I couldn't see the file with the preview feature.
 

Attachments

  • Social niceties.xls
    49.5 KB · Views: 409
  • belén

    Senior Member
    Spanish, Spain, Catalan, Mallorca
    Hello!
    I have added another Spanish possibility for Deepest Sympathies and also added in English and Spanish Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
    Cheers,
    Belén
     

    Attachments

    • Social niceties2.xls
      56.5 KB · Views: 151

    Whodunit

    Senior Member
    Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    Hi,

    I added:
    • German translations
    • English words: Thanks, Thank you very much, Happy Birthday, Good night to family members
    • German genders and POS
    my suggestions:
    • someone should arrange the order again
    • some POS and genders are missing in both English and French translations
    • someone has to decrease the size of the spreadsheet, because it's already on 69 KB. :eek:
    Thank you all. :)
     

    Anna Più

    Senior Member
    Catalonia, Catalan
    Hello!

    I have added some Catalan ones!
     

    Attachments

    • Social niceties4.xls
      97 KB · Views: 118

    VenusEnvy

    Senior Member
    English, United States
    I added:
    Other ways to say Congratulations in Spanish (2)
    Another way to say excuse me
    Happy Birthday
    Ways to say Thanks very much (2)

    I also:
    Reformatted to fit
    Deleted extra space/reduced size to 20.0 KB ;) Who
    Alphabetized

    Question:
    I am confused that phrases such as Excuse me are labeled under POS as verb. ??? Whereas, other "phrases" are labeled "interjections". Is anyone confused by this? Is there something else we can label these phrases, such as "phrases"? Am I alone here?

    Good idea for a sheet, Alejandro!
     

    belén

    Senior Member
    Spanish, Spain, Catalan, Mallorca
    Added another translation in Spanish for I'm sorry.
     

    Attachments

    • Social Niceties 7.xls
      21.5 KB · Views: 129

    Whodunit

    Senior Member
    Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    VenusEnvy said:
    Deleted extra space/reduced size to 20.0 KB ;) Who

    I'm not very comfortable with Excel, so would you please inform me how to do that? If not here, please PM me. ;)

    Question:
    I am confused that phrases such as Excuse me are labeled under POS as verb. ??? Whereas, other "phrases" are labeled "interjections". Is anyone confused by this? Is there something else we can label these phrases, such as "phrases"? Am I alone here?

    I'd say "interjection". There's also a problem between languages, because "Congratulations" can be an interjection or a noun. How should I translate it? The définition says that it's an expression, so I translated it as an interjection.
     

    VenusEnvy

    Senior Member
    English, United States
    Whodunit said:
    I'm not very comfortable with Excel, so would you please inform me how to do that? If not here, please PM me. ;)

    I simply highlighted the seemingly blank columns and rows surrounding the words, and pressed delete. I think that sometimes (I'm not very computer-savvy, either), although words don't show up, there's still hidden codes and format stuff happening in the outskirts. So, I highlight the surrounding area (even though it appears to be blank), and press delete.

    Dani: I hope this is clear for you! I'm sorry if I don't know how to explain it well...
     

    Whodunit

    Senior Member
    Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    VenusEnvy said:
    I simply highlighted the seemingly blank columns and rows surrounding the words, and pressed delete. I think that sometimes (I'm not very computer-savvy, either), although words don't show up, there's still hidden codes and format stuff happening in the outskirts. So, I highlight the surrounding area (even though it appears to be blank), and press delete.

    Dani: I hope this is clear for you! I'm sorry if I don't know how to explain it well...

    It is clear, indeed, but I'm maybe too dumb to carry this out, because that's what I always do. And there're still numbers like 80 KB. I need you to decrease it. :(
     
    Top