Social (social gathering; party)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Xavier da Silva, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Xavier da Silva

Xavier da Silva Senior Member

Hello everyone,

Does "social" meaning ''a social gathering or party, esp. of or as given by an organized group'' (W.R) sound natural/correct in the examples I created below in everyday conversational English?

a. John: Mary, our family is having a social at our house next week and you're invited. Mary: Oh, thank you for inviting me. John: You're family, Mary. We grew up together.
    b. There's going to be a social at the company I work for next week. I'll have to be there.

Thank you in advance!

2. lingobingo

lingobingo Senior Member

London
    English - England
    I can’t even remember the last time I had the word social used as a noun meaning an organised function. And I’ve certainly never heard it used to mean a private party held at someone’s home.

3. dojibear

dojibear Senior Member

Fresno CA
    English - Northeast US
    Post #2's comments apply to AE also.

In AE, the noun "social" is old-fashioned.

When it was used, it never meant a party at someone's home. Think about the adjective "social": that applies to all home parties. But for a company, most meetings are about business, so a meeting that is purely "social" is unusual, and might be called a "social". Sentence 2 is a good example. It was used for meetings held by a company, a school, a chuch, a museum or some other organization, if the purpose was purely "social". By "social purpose" I mean the get-together's purpose is only "meeting, talking with, and getting to know other people who were interested in the institution or were members of it".

I think the word "party" covers most of those events. It may also be called an "open house" if the public is invited, not just members of the organization.

4. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

Connecticut
    English - US (Midwest)