Social (social gathering; party)

Xavier da Silva

Hello everyone,

Does "social" meaning ''a social gathering or party, esp. of or as given by an organized group'' (W.R) sound natural/correct in the examples I created below in everyday conversational English?

a. John: Mary, our family is having a social at our house next week and you're invited. Mary: Oh, thank you for inviting me. John: You're family, Mary. We grew up together.
b. There's going to be a social at the company I work for next week. I'll have to be there.

Thank you in advance!

• lingobingo

English - England
    I can’t even remember the last time I had the word social used as a noun meaning an organised function. And I’ve certainly never heard it used to mean a private party held at someone’s home.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Post #2's comments apply to AE also.

In AE, the noun "social" is old-fashioned.

When it was used, it never meant a party at someone's home. Think about the adjective "social": that applies to all home parties. But for a company, most meetings are about business, so a meeting that is purely "social" is unusual, and might be called a "social". Sentence 2 is a good example. It was used for meetings held by a company, a school, a chuch, a museum or some other organization, if the purpose was purely "social". By "social purpose" I mean the get-together's purpose is only "meeting, talking with, and getting to know other people who were interested in the institution or were members of it".

I think the word "party" covers most of those events. It may also be called an "open house" if the public is invited, not just members of the organization.

< Previous | Next >