Social Welfare Department (university)

mammaeli

English - US
I am translating an American transcript into French, and one of the academic departments on the transcript is Social Welfare. Would I translate this as, "Système de protection sociale" ? Is there such an academic department in France? Merci beaucoup pour votre aide.

• sylber

Hi I'm not too sure about what sort of departments your document is referring to: does it mean that social welfare is one of the subjects studied or is this department part of the administration of the U. ?

mammaeli

English - US
    It is an academic department at UC Berkeley in which an undergraduate may major (BA in Social Welfare) or a graduate may get a masters in Socal work, or a student may just take a course. In this case on the transcript I am translating, it is under the heading of Department which lists the courses on the transcript. For example,

Department, Course Number, Title
    Education, 243, Grammar Fundamentals
    Social Welfare, 205, Psychosocial Problems

sylber

Thanks, well, paradoxically, in this country of ours where social welfare has been for so long regarded as sacred, I don't think that it can be studied at any university. Maybe precisely because it is so ingrained in our collective psyche that it is considered there is nothing that can be discussed about it -regretably.
    Anyway, If it existed, it would most probably be called 'la protection sociale' as you suggested.

< Previous | Next >