Social Welfare

s-dimi74

GREECE /GREEK
Hello all
could someone explain my what do we mean with the term "social welfare"in econimics?
thanks

• jacinta

USA English
    Hello, s-dimi174,

Please provide us with some context. I'm not sure I or anyone else understands your question. That's why no one is answering.

badger

Ireland, English speaker
    s-dimi74 said:
    Hello all
    could someone explain my what do we mean with the term "social welfare"in econimics?
    thanks
    Hi s-dimi74.

Greetings from Ireland and welcome to the forum.

As far as I know “social welfare” has different meanings depending on the context.

Here in Ireland we had a Government department called “The Department of Social Welfare”.

Its name has been changed but it still has the same function, and that is to provide non contributory old age pensions, unemployment payments, child allowance and the like.

But this might be in the area of sociology rather than economics.

Here’s a link that might give you the information that you require.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_welfare

badger. :)

s-dimi74

GREECE /GREEK
    Hello all

With regards to social welfare I am doing a research in the area of parallel imports of pharmaceutical products in UK ,which allow some medicine to be cheaper than the original price,and I came accross with notion that parallel imports of such products could increase social welfare.So does it mean that old or poor people can have acces to cheaper medicines?
    thanking you for your ideas

< Previous | Next >