socially beneficial or beneficial to the society

snooprun

Chinese
Evening there:
I ran into this sentence in a book concerning GRE test, whose name was written in Chinese——The success of fluoride in combating dental decay is well established and, without a doubt, socially beneficial. My question is that does the red part mean that fluoride is beneficial to the society? In addition, do you, in most cases, prefer to choose this construction——that is to use an adv. to represent time, places, conditions and intensity——over this 'The success of fluoride in...is benefical to the society.' or is it a case of parallel structure? You know, in Chinese, seldomly do we use that construction in this case, which is why I pose this question. We prefer to say that something benefits something instead. As you can see, I am trying to write in English idiomatically, therefore, if that construction is the prefered form, I should try to use it more often. Many thanks! (By the way, were my puncuations and expressions written above all correct, if not, please help me refine it.:))

• Copyright

American English
    Don't think of it as a preferred form or parallel structure -- think of it as another choice of phrasing that you can use to make your writing more varied and interesting. In other words, remember them both because you'll see them both, and it's just a personal choice as to which one the writer will use.

The success of fluoride is socially beneficial.
    The success of fluoride is beneficial to society.

snooprun

Chinese
    Don't think of it as a preferred form or parallel structure -- think of it as another choice of phrasing that you can use to make your writing more varied and interesting. In other words, remember them both because you'll see them both, and it's just a personal choice as to which one the writer will use.

The success of fluoride is socially beneficial.
    The success of fluoride is beneficial to society.
    Thanks Mr. Copyright, now I know when should I use them properly.:tick:

e2efour

UK English
    The sentence is rather a careless one since it is not the success of fluoride that is of benefit to society, but the use or effect of fluoride.
    In writing one often meets the adjective societal when referring to society, e.g. "of societal benefit".
    From "of benefit to society" it is only a short step to "socially beneficial" or "societally beneficial".
    Similar phrases are "to be friendly to the environment" = "to be environmentally friendly".
    "Of benefit to everyone" can be written as "universally beneficial".
    "Of harm to the educational system" = "educationally harmful".

snooprun

Chinese
    The sentence is rather a careless one since it is not the success of fluoride that is of benefit to society, but the use or effect of fluoride.
    In writing one often meets the adjective societal when referring to society, e.g. "of societal benefit".
    From "of benefit to society" it is only a short step to "socially beneficial" or "societally beneficial".
    Similar phrases are "to be friendly to the environment" = "to be environmentally friendly".
    "Of benefit to everyone" can be written as "universally beneficial".
    "Of harm to the educational system" = "educationally harmful".
    Thanks e2efour, your expamles are indeed cases in point! I should try to use such construction on varirty grounds.:)

Copyright

American English
    I thought about that but decided that The success of fluoride in combating dental decay was the same as The ability of fluoride to combat dental decay -- and further decided that it was understood that people were using it; otherwise, if it was only working in the lab, there wouldn't be any societal benefit and no resulting news article. So I let it all slide. :)

I must admit that years of media reading have loosened my parameters for what is and is not acceptable. :D

snooprun

Chinese
    I thought about that but decided that The success of fluoride in combating dental decay was the same as The ability of fluoride to combat dental decay -- and further decided that it was understood that people were using it; otherwise, if it was only working in the lab, there wouldn't be any societal benefit and no resulting news article. So I let it all slide. :)

I must admit that years of media reading have loosened my parameters for what is and is not acceptable. :D
    Yes, it happens to me every now and then. I,therefore, choose to believe in myself rather than some so-called experts.:D

< Previous | Next >