socially poised

< Previous | Next >

RORSCHACH

Farsi-persian
Hi

what does "socially poised" mean in the following example?

"men who are high in emotional intelligence are socially poised, outgoing and cheerful..."

source: Emotional Intelligence, by Daniel Goleman, Page 45

• RORSCHACH

Farsi-persian
    Poised has many meanings in dictionary and we can use Socially almost with all of them. Socially dignified, socially calm,...
    I asked this question to see what exactly it means.
    what does it mean when you say someone is socially poised? what do you mean exactly by that?

heypresto

English - England
    'Socially poised' is not an expression that is in common use. It's just two words, with their usual meanings, strung together. Only the author knows exactly what he means by it. Maybe it will become clearer as you read on . . .

I don't know what 'high in emotional intelligence' means either.

(And note that we always start sentences with a capital letter.)

kentix

English - U.S.
    I think he means "comfortable in social situations". He has the ability to talk to different people and "connect" with them and relate to them. That's in comparison to someone who isn't good at being around people and has a hard time making casual conversation or relating to other people.

What Is Emotional Intelligence?
    Emotional intelligence is the ability to identify and manage your own emotions and the emotions of others. It is generally said to include three skills: emotional awareness; the ability to harness emotions and apply them to tasks like thinking and problem solving; and the ability to manage emotions, which includes regulating your own emotions and cheering up or calming down other people.

Emotional Intelligence | Psychology Today

< Previous | Next >