società soggetta a direzione e a coordinamento di

Jelsah

British English
Hello everyone on the forum again,
I cannot find a previous thread on this turn of phrase. I am translating a general contract between two contractors and it talks about one of the companies being "una società soggetta a direzione e a coordinamento della PINCOPALLINO Spa....."
The only attempt of translation I can find is on Proz which gives it literally as "a company subject to management and coordination by Pincopallino spa" and it says that this is apparently a purely Italian corporate form - it is like a company which is administrated along with others by a parent company.

Has anyone else come across this one and have a better translation? Do any of the English translators resident in English speaking countries (not me for a long time!) know if we have an equivalent term in English business law?

Jelsah:)
(Thanks for your time and thoughts!)

• Jelsah

British English
    Hi Giginho,
    Yes, that was going through my mind too! But I don't understand why they don't just write "consociata" in Italian? Of course, it could well just be the same thing and there are two ways of saying it in Italian......

Jelsah

giginho

Italiano & Piemontese
    If I have to tell the truth, I never bumped into such an expression. Of course is understandble but not so technical, if you know what I mean!

Jelsah

British English
    I do know what you mean. One of the banes of being a translator is that you need to delve into all specific fields and the client expects you to know his terminology perfectly and almost be able to do his job, even though he can't do yours!!
    Well I will go for the literal translation of subject to because I don't want to risk it being two different things!
    Thanks Giginho
    Have a good day
    Jelsah :)

King Crimson

Modus in fabula
    Italiano
    I happened to see "wholly owned subsidiary" as a translation of the original expression. I guess that probably it makes more sense to a native than a literal translation.

Jelsah

British English
    Wow, King Crimson. Yes that sounds good and much more natural than the literal one.
    Saved in calcio d'angolo. The only thing is that this company is owned 72% so it is not wholly owned (well I guess in practical terms if you have 72% you are in effect the boss because the guy with 38% is not going to count for much), but maybe I could change it slightly and say "almost wholly owned subsidiary"
    Jelsah :)

bridgetjones

Italian
    Scusate se rirprendoi questo vecchio item ma è che devo tradurre la stessa frase: una società soggetta a direzione e a coordinamento della. A company subject to management and coordination by non mi sembra la traduzione esatta. Mi sembra maccherronica a dire il vero. Il problema è che io non ho molta familiarità con la terminologia commerciale per cui se qualcuno di voi potesse darmi un aiutino gliene sarei molto grata