sock a movie

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Feanfox, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Feanfox

Feanfox Member

Sevastopol
    Russian
    This is the quote from the classic novel "A Handful of Dust" by Evelyn Waugh

So she met Beaver again.

He was sitting some way from her and they did not speak to each other until everyone was going. “I kept trying to get through to you this morning,” he said, “but the line was always engaged.”
    “Oh come on,” said Brenda, “I'll sock you a movie.”

(Beaver is Brenda's lover).
    Does anybody know what this strange collocation means - to sock a movie? Is it some 1930's slang? I found only two meanings of the verb "to sock": to provide with socks or to hit/punch.

Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  2. cyberpedant

cyberpedant Senior Member

North Adams, MA
    English USA, Northeast, NYC
    The OED has this acceptance (among several others):

The noun "sock" above means "food." By extension, I suppose, this could mean treating (paying for) someone's movie. But I have no first-hand experience of the phrase.

3. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Just to corroborate cyber's answer: this annotated version of the text explains "sock" as treat".

(I've never heard this usage either - but then no-one in my family has ever gone to Eton:cool:.)

4. ewie

ewie Senior Member

Elsewhere
    English English
    I don't remember ever coming across it either ... well, not since reading A Handful of Dust in 1981. I think I might be forgiven for having forgotten it in the intervening 32 years ...:cool: