sock bore

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Erika2011, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Erika2011 New Member

Spanish
    Does any know what sock bore means?

the full phrase is:
    oticed
    My wife thinks I'm a sock bore. But then I noticed that my socks regularly turn up on my wife's feet.

2. Florentia52

Florentia52 Modwoman in the attic

Wisconsin
    English - United States
    From the limited context provided, I would guess that it's someone who wears boring socks. It's not a common phrase.

3. Edinburgher Senior Member

Scotland
    German/English bilingual
    The wife shouldn't complain about the husband's boring socks. It is she, after all, who will have given them to him as birthday and Christmas presents. :eek:

I would understand a sock bore to be someone who finds socks a fascinating topic for conversation, much to others' displeasure.

4. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    An "X bore" is someone who seems to be obsessed with some aspect of X. "He is a football bore." = "He only talks about football and this becomes boring as a subject of conversation."

A 'sock bore' would be someone who appears to be obsessed with some aspect of their socks - what they are like, where they are kept, how they are washed, etc. In the context (little though it is) I think he means that his wife is fed up with his talking about his socks.

5. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    I suggest you ask her. (We have no idea what your socks look like) :D

6. Cagey post mod (English Only / Latin)

California
    English - US
    These sentences are from a column called 'the Odd Couple by Richard Brooks from The Observer that was reprinted in Reading 4 Student's Book: Advanced Simon Greenall, ‎Diana Pye (1993)

It is a humorous article on what the author calls the "Missing Sock Syndrome" [=MSS] and his efforts to find out why socks disappear and sometimes reappear. The paragraphs preceding the sentences under discussion this give examples of other people's lack of concern about missing socks. This is the final paragraph:

Only my nine-year-old daughter shows some early signs of inheriting her father's MSS concerns. My wife thinks I'm a sock bore. But then I noticed that my socks regularly turn up on my wife's feet --- she is cavalier when it comes to hosiery.

I am posting this to demonstrate that without complete context and source, people can only make plausible guesses as to what a 'sock bore' might mean. We need the actual context to know that the people who said that he was a 'sock bore' because he talked too much about socks were correct.