sock it to the sox....mlb stuff.....

rich7

Venezuela español
Tribe socks it to Sox By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com
Ben Broussard hit a first-inning grand slam, a solo homer in the third inning and a two-run double in the sixth to finish with a career-high eight RBIs. Victor Martinez also chipped in with a three-run dinger to give Paul Byrd his third victory of the young season.

I know it is a pun on words, but, What can " sock to" mean?

• rich7 said:
    Tribe socks it to Sox By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com
    Ben Broussard hit a first-inning grand slam, a solo homer in the third inning and a two-run double in the sixth to finish with a career-high eight RBIs. Victor Martinez also chipped in with a three-run dinger to give Paul Byrd his third victory of the young season.

I know it is a pun on words, but, What can " sock to" mean?

Hi Rich,

I have a limited knowledge of Americanisms but I believe, "sock it to me" means "let me have it".

So "Tribe socks it to the Sox" means The Tribe let the Sox have it.

In other ways they gave the Sox a sound thrashing in the game.

I think so anyway. I could be wrong.

LRV

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    High Rich,
    It was a wonderful game indeed! In colloquial AE, 'to sock' means to hit or punch. From that was derived the expression
    'sock it to....'.

The other answers are correct. The Cleveland Indians made mincemeat, pulverized, humiliated, and thoroughly whooped/whupped the Bosox last night. Josh Beckett looked like he was throwing batting practice for the grapefruit league. Boston's relief squad continued to make Cleveland look good--and they are!

I'm off to search for the etymology of sock=hit.

cheers,
    Cuchu

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    rich7 said:
    So, I take it you are rooting for the tribe Chu.
    Hardly. I am surrounded by arrogant Bosox fans.
    I enjoy seeing them, both the fans and the Bosox, get reduced to a somewhat human scale. Some of my favorite players are named Posada, Willams, A. Rodríguez, Jeter, Sheffield, Canó, Matsui, Giambi...hint, hint. :)

May any and all knock the socks off of the Sox.

rich7

Venezuela español
    So, I see someone around is a fan of the Babe, whose mark by the way is in risk to be smeared.

If you get me.

french4beth

US-English
    I'm just glad we managed to 'reverse the curse.' Hope springs eternal! I just hope we 'Bawstun' fans don't have to wait another 80-odd years for it to happen again!

< Previous | Next >