Sock puppet [Internet]

gladorient

Chinese
The phrase "sock puppet" in the sentence "Some celebrities use sock puppet to see what people say about them online." is hard to understand for me. Does it mean a device that can surf the internet? Thank you!

• Copyright

American English
    I'll trust you to tell us the source of your sentence while I tell you the answer (and go to bed):

Actually, I'll let Wikipedia tell you: Sockpuppet (Internet): A sockpuppet is an online identity used for purposes of deception. The term—a reference to the manipulation of a simple hand puppet made from a sock—originally referred to a false identity assumed by a member of an internet community who spoke to, or about himself while pretending to be another person. The term now includes other uses of misleading online identities, such as those created to praise, defend or support a third party or organization. A significant difference between the use of a pseudonym and the creation of a sockpuppet is that the sockpuppet poses as an independent third-party unaffiliated with the puppeteer.

There's more on the link.

gladorient

Chinese
    Thanks for the quick reply. I heard the sentence in an "English Corner" conversation and I was somehow unable to ask the speaker then. English corner is a kind of activity for learners to practise their English.

< Previous | Next >