Soda, Pop, Soda pop, Fizzy Drink??

Cecivit

Argentina, Spanish
Hi!! I'm translating a restaurant menu into English. I have a problem with the Spanish word 'gaseosa' (like Coke, Crush/Fanta, Sprite). I found all these options: SODA, POP, SODA POP, FIZZY DRINK and I'm at a loss; I don't know what's the best word.

I hope somebody can help me!!
Thanks in advance!!;)
cecivit

• Cecivit

Argentina, Spanish
    Thanks!! Anjie!! You're right I've searched the forum and there was already a post on the subject!! The conclusion was that the best option was SODA.
    Thanks again!

Reina140

Banned
    USA--English
    Soda is the best option for the general term, but in restaurants the options will be by brand:

Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Sunkist . . . . ect.

Cecivit

Argentina, Spanish
    Thanks Reina! The thing is that I really don't know what brands they offer. So, soda will be serve the purpose.thanks again! cecivit

elpoderoso

English
    are you translating into british english? if so, it would be better to say soft drink, as i have yet to see drinks on a british menu come under the heading of soda or fizzy drinks, all the non alcoholic drinks (soft drinks) usually come under the same heading. i hope this helps

Cecivit

Argentina, Spanish
    are you translating into british english? if so, it would be better to say soft drink, as i have yet to see drinks on a british menu come under the heading of soda or fizzy drinks, all the non alcoholic drinks (soft drinks) usually come under the same heading. i hope this helps
    Do you mean that soda and fizzy drinks in a british menu are alcoholic drinks?

Joey.

English / New York, U.S.A.
    Diria que la palabra "Sodas" es un poco informal para un menu.
    Asi que, para mi, "Fountain drinks" o "Soft Drinks(porque una bebida con alcohol es una bebida fuerte-"hard")" seria la mejor opcion.
    -Joe

andym

English - England
    Do you mean that soda and fizzy drinks in a british menu are alcoholic drinks?
    No, they are non-alcoholic drinks, but over here 'Soda' is used to refer to soda water. Restaurant menuse here would use 'soft drinks' or 'non-alcoholic drinks' as the heading for juices, mineral water, coke etc.

< Previous | Next >