softball question

< Previous | Next >

hilvarx

Spanish - Venezuela
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a good translation into French for "the interviewer only asked him softball questions." What's the meaning of "softball" here please? Thankyou

• Gargamelle

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a good translation into French for "the interviewer only asked him softball questions." What's the meaning of "softball" here please? Thankyou
    Here, of course, the term "softball" is used metaphorically. In hardball (baseball), the ball travels faster and hurts more when you catch it (or get hit on the head with it). Younger children often play softball for safety reasons, so "hardball" is associated with a faster, somewhat more dangerous game.

A "softball question" is an easy question; a "hardball question" is a difficult question.

Example: At a White House press conference, a reporter asks, "Mr. President, did you enjoy your Easter holiday." That's a softball question.

Another reporter asks, "Mr. President, last year you said you'd have a balanced budget by this year, yet you've cut taxes and increased spending. Can you explain that?" That's a hardball question.

"To play hardball" means to be serious, tough, and competetive; "to play softball" means the opposite.

But as for how to say it in French, with or without preserving the sports connotation, I don't know.

Hope this helps!

Gargamelle

P.S. "Hardball" is a political talk show on the MSNBC cable network in the USA, so named because Chris Matthews, the host, asks tough questions....

hilvarx

Spanish - Venezuela
    Thankyou Gargamelle,

Your answer is very clever and very well illustrated, I appreciate it very much. It sure "lighted up my torch".

Thanks again!

Chimel

Français
    On parle dans le métier d'un article de complaisance, d'une interview de complaisance... "Une question de complaisance" me semblerait donc convenir, si on souhaite éviter le style familier de "fastoche" et "bateau".

hilvarx

Spanish - Venezuela
    Des questions inoffensives ?
    (comme les questions de nos journalistes télé le 30 janvier dernier... :rolleyes:)[/QUOTE]

i'm glad to see that five years later my question is still "alive" ... by the way I agree with you KaRIN ! that's a good illustration of it !

< Previous | Next >