software

Baghera

France/French
Hi everyone!

I have a question which may sounds stupid to you natives, but if software is uncountable, how can we find so many hits on Google for run a software, install a software..?! Aren't we supposed to say install a software program or things like that?

• mplsray

Hi everyone!

I have a question which may sounds stupid to you natives, but if software is uncountable, how can we find so many hits on Google for run a software, install a software..?! Aren't we supposed to say install a software program or things like that?
    You are right. I would expect "run a software" and "install a software" to be written by nonnative speakers only.

Niblib

English - Australia
    They both work depending on context. For example you could easily say "instal done anti virus software." you only need the "program" in that sort of sentence if it's a specific program. Saying "Trados software" works as multiple programs. "Trados software is usually if a high grade"

mplsray

OK So I am supposed to install "Trados software program" and not "Trados software" for example?
    That's a different question. Install Trados software means "install software from Trados." Whether one program or more are to be installed in not dealt with, and it is when only one program is to be installed that you must avoid the indefinite article if you use simply software instead of software program.

Baghera

France/French
    Here is more context:
    Natom Solo is a standalone PC software program? which you can run without installing Natom software program?.
    (meaning other software products won't run without installing the last one)

mplsray

Here is more context:
    Natom Solo is a standalone PC software program? which you can run without installing Natom software program?.
    (meaning other software products won't run without installing the last one)
    This is a tricky one. It sounds odd the way you put it, because Natom Solo is itself evidently an example of Natom software.

Some other term or terms have to be used, but without knowing more about what you refer to as "Natom software program," I have nothing to suggest.

Baghera

France/French
    There's a basic edition of Natom software which you can customize, adding some packages. These packages won't run without having the basic edition installed. Whereas Natom Solo will run by itself.

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I suspect that many of the Google hits for "run a software", "install a software" are using software as an adjective. Let's have a look.
    Five of the first ten for "run ..." are "... run a software company".
    One "... run a software licensing portal".
    One "... run a software firewall".

For "install a software", five of the first ten use software as an adjective.

You don't need both software and program in the same phrase.
    Software consists of one or more programs.

Natom Solo is a standalone PC program ...

I don't understand the complete sentence, but then I don't know anything about Natom/ Natom Solo.

Niblib said:
    For example you could easily say "instal done anti virus software." you only need the "program"
    Saying "Trados software" works as multiple programs.
    "Trados software is usually if a high grade"
    Continuing the theme of my lack of understanding, I don't know what the sentences in bold mean. They appear to be incomplete, or incorrect.

mplsray

There's a basic edition of Natom software which you can customize, adding some packages. These packages won't run without having the basic edition installed. Whereas Natom Solo will run by itself.

I would drop the first software and use the words basic edition:

Natom Solo is a standalone PC program which you can run without installing the basic edition of Natom software.

< Previous | Next >