solar eclipses

madword

Chinese
IF YOU’RE HAVING TROUBLE PICKING out the significant idiot in your life from among the six descriptive categories, it’s probably because
few people are purely one thing. People are all composites of multiple influences. A pinch of this, a dash of that, a shovelful of other stuff.
Even spineless-yet-lovable Category I Giver amoebas have moments of fearless fortitude. Solar eclipses happen more often and, even then,
these moments are mostly limited to daydreams.
(HOW TO LIVE WITH AN IDIOT by John Hoover)

My question: what does the underlined sentence mean in this context? What are "these moments"? solar eclipses?

• EStjarn

Spanish
    In order to answer this question, we will need a little more context: A Category I Giver amoeba is a nice but for the most part spineless person who's afraid of his own shadow as well as everyone else's. If the amoeba is ambitious he can generate a lot of money but will need help by lawyers so as to not give it all away.

Reply: Moments of fearless fortitude displayed by a Category I Giver amoeba happen more seldom than solar eclipses occur. And when those rare moments of fearlessness come to pass, they most often do so in the form of daydreams, that is, they happen only in the mind of the amoeba, so that from the point of view of an onlooker there is no display of fearless fortitude whatsoever.

madword

Chinese
    Very enlightening analysis! Thank you! Seems you have read the book.
    In order to answer this question, we will need a little more context: A Category I Giver amoeba is a nice but for the most part spineless person who's afraid of his own shadow as well as everyone else's. If the amoeba is ambitious he can generate a lot of money but will need help by lawyers so as to not give it all away.

Reply: Moments of fearless fortitude displayed by a Category I Giver amoeba happen more seldom than solar eclipses occur. And when those rare moments of fearlessness come to pass, they most often do so in the form of daydreams, that is, they happen only in the mind of the amoeba, so that from the point of view of an onlooker there is no display of fearless fortitude whatsoever.

< Previous | Next >