solar imports?

Camlearner

Khmer
Hi,
China cries foul after US sets tariffs on solar imports

My question is: why the writer use the adjective "solar" in this title to modify the noun "imports"? To me, I find it a little awkward because of the meaning of "solar" in dictionaries. I think the writer should write: China cries foul after US sets tariffs on solar panel imports! Except "solar" can have other meaning that mean: solar panel or solar energy... otherwise I still feel that solar imports mean the imports of the sun :D

Thanks

Source: http://www.todayszaman.com/newsDetai...?newsId=280730

• owlman5

English-US
    Writers often omit words in titles to save space, Camlearner. You'll notice that the writer used "solar panel imports" in the first sentence of the article.

Camlearner

Khmer
    Thanks owlman5. Yes I do see "solar panel imports" used in the article.

But how can they omit the word "panel" correctly?
    How do we know when to delete what word in where?
    How do we justify the accuracy of omitting the word "panel" and write only "solar imports"?
    Do "solar imports" quickly sound right and make quick sense to you as a native speaker of English? As I said, as a learner of English, I do feel that solar imports mean the imports of the sun..

owlman5

English-US
    Editors probably make these decisions, Camlearner. Pages in newspapers are designed so that there is room enough for several articles on one page.

Fluent speakers can generally figure out what a title is supposed to mean even when a word or two is omitted. Readers understand that the US is not importing the sun from China. They'll infer that "solar imports" is short for "imports of solar panels".

Camlearner

Khmer
    Ah ok.. so the point here is to infer..

Frankly, I also seem to infer so firstly but also frankly if I were to write, I will not dare to omit the word because it might make other poeple laughing.

Thanks owlman5 for your helping me to understand this.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I'd expand Owlman's post just a little - to "equipment components used in solar energy systems", not just panels because the context/topic has been established in the article.

Camlearner

Khmer
    Thanks JulianStuart for your expanding.
    because the context/topic has been established in the article.

So sometimes we cannot tell quickly correctly just by looking at title/headline alone!

< Previous | Next >