Solar plexus

nagomi

Korean
The dictionary says the pit in the stomach is solar plexus, but isn't it too technical?

a) I feel frustrated in the solar plexus
b) I'll punch you in the solar plexus

I think those will sound unnatural for being too technical.

What's the normal way of saying it?

• SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    I have never heard I feel frustrated in the solar plexus.

Nor have I heard I'll punch you in the solar plexus.
    But I have heard "I'll punch you in the nose.

LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    Doctors normally call this the celiac plexus.(that is the US-E spelling) The term solar plexus is a lay term, not a technical one, but it is not used in the ways you suggest. Gut or belly would be where you get punched. People speak of having a gut-feeling, but not of being frustrated there; frustration is not usually anatomically located.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    a) I feel frustrated in the solar plexus
    b) I'll punch you in the solar plexus
    (a1) I feel frustration in the pit of my stomach. (odd, but people sometimes say they feel an emotion there)

(b1) I'll punch you in the stomach.

"Solar plexus" is a more specific spot than "stomach". And "stomach" has multiple meanings:

1. the mid-torso front area of your skin (as used in sentence b1).
    2. the organ that digests food
    3. the internal area of the middle torso (as used in sentence a1), also called the "abdomen".

wolfram_beta

English - American
    In the context of televised sports, particularly American football, you'll occasionally hear the announcers say that a player "took a shot to the solar plexus" and "had the wind knocked out of him." That's the only context in which I've heard the term as a non-medical person.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    A sharp blow on that exact spot (the solar plexus) can disable a person temporarily. A sharp blow elsewhere on the stomache does not.

It has something to do with the collection of nerves at that spot. That is why we have a name for that spot.

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    In my experience the solar plexus is the set of muscles directly below the rib cage. The gut or stomach is right behind the belly button, below the solar plexus. You really have to have a context to identify the term, in many cases.

< Previous | Next >