Solar shutter

alibey71

Türkçe
"As she played with the string, opening and closing the blind, her slim figure was lit and then eclipsed like an image in a solar shutter."
I could neither understand what "solar shutter" is in this sentence nor find it in any dictionary. Can anybody help me?

• Packard

USA, English
    Probably something like a plantation shutter which can be opened or closed. See the image below. The upper row shows the shutter about 3/4 closed. Fully closed and it lets in only minimal light. The bottom row of images shows the shutters fully opened:

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    It is a metaphor. The opening and closing of the blind made her image appear and disappear, as when the shutter in a camera opens to let the image in for a specific period of time, and then close to eliminate overexposure.

EDIT: No longer sure of this. The mention of the string shows that she is manipulating a Venetian blind, so the comparison to a plantation shutter doesn't have much explanatory force. The two items are so similar.

On the other hand using solar to describe a camera shutter is odd.

Last edited:

Packard

USA, English
    It is a metaphor. The opening and closing of the blind made her image appear and disappear, as when the shutter in a camera opens to let the image in for a specific period of time, and then close to eliminate overexposure.

EDIT: No longer sure of this. The mention of the string shows that she is manipulating a Venetian blind, so the comparison to a plantation shutter doesn't have much explanatory force. The two items are so similar.

On the other hand using solar to describe a camera shutter is odd.
    Perhaps something like this:

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I googled the phrase, with quotes around it ( "solar shutter" ) and found links to something called a "solar shutter". It is a kind of shutter designed to keep sunlight from getting in the room, while still letting you look at the view through the window.

But that does not explain the phrase "like an image in a solar shutter".

Alibey71, where did you see this sentence? What is the source (book, online article, etc.)? Is it very modern, or very old?

Packard

USA, English
    I googled the phrase, with quotes around it ( "solar shutter" ) and found links to something called a "solar shutter". It is a kind of shutter designed to keep sunlight from getting in the room, while still letting you look at the view through the window.

Alibey71, where did you see this sentence? What is the source (book, online article, etc.)? Is it very modern, or very old?
    I found the source material in Google books which does not permit quoting. It is a Venetian blind, and she is silhouetted. This thread would have lasted one post if adequate context had been provided.

The Crystal World

alibey71

Türkçe

The sentence quoted from The Crystal World by J. G. Ballard (the first published in 1966). I had found and examined the "solar shutter" you mentioned. But the thing that was mentioned in this sentence can't be it (solar shutters in Africa in 1966?!).

Packard

USA, English
    The sentence quoted from The Crystal World by J. G. Ballard (the first published in 1966). I had found and examined the "solar shutter" you mentioned. But the thing that was mentioned in this sentence can't be it (solar shutters in Africa in 1966?!).
    I will manually transcribe the passage:

Louise walked over to the window. Pulling on the blind, she raised the blades so that they let in the afternoon light. Silhouetted against the sun, her white suit and pale skin became suddenly dark. As she played with the string, opening and closing the blind, her slim figure was lit and then eclipsed like an image in a solar shutter.

The Venetian blind was behaving as though it were a shutter letting in or blocking the sun. ("like an image in a solar shutter.")

alibey71

Türkçe
    I found the source material in Google books which does not permit quoting. It is a Venetian blind, and she is silhouetted. This thread would have lasted one post if adequate context had been provided.

The Crystal World
    But, Packard, she is already in front of a blind (=jalousie=venetian blind), and so where is the metafor ("like an image in a solar shutter")

Packard

USA, English
    But, Packard, she is already in front of a blind (=jalousie=venetian blind), and so where is the metafor ("like an image in a solar shutter")
    She was alternately fully lit and then silhouetted depending upon the position of the blinds. The blinds were acting as a shutter. The sun was the light source. Therefore it was behaving like a solar shutter.

alibey71

Türkçe
    She was alternately fully lit and then silhouetted depending upon the position of the blinds. The blinds were acting as a shutter. The sun was the light source. Therefore it was behaving like a solar shutter.
    I understand, Packard, thanks.

< Previous | Next >