Solitude would be no solitude—rest no rest—while the vulture, hunger, thus sank beak and talons in m

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre (Chap. 28) | Genius

Quotation: I could not bear to return to the sordid village, where, besides, no prospect of aid was visible. I should have longed rather to deviate to a wood I saw not far off, which appeared in its thick shade to offer inviting shelter; but I was so sick, so weak, so gnawed with nature’s cravings,instinct kept me roaming round abodes where there was a chance of food. Solitude would be no solitude—rest no rest—while the vulture, hunger, thus sank beak and talons in my side.
===
Hi everyone! I don't quite understand the bold part. I try to interpret it as below. Is it correct?

When Jane was apparently alone, she was not actually alone, because she had the horrible vulture of hunger in her side, albeit without any person around.
When Jane apparently had a rest, she did actually not, because the vulture was here pecking and clawing at her, making her restless.

• Barque

Tamil
    Yes, you've got it.

By the way, she's referring to solitude in the same context as rest, something that would normally be restful, but in this case, because of the vulture of hunger, wouldn't be.

< Previous | Next >